Sleepover

It wasn't long before Alex walked back into the room for an "annual" visit. He came in and checked on me then left again. Zack and Leon squabbled a lot over nothing. Although those things kept my guard up, Zack was an amazingly good host to me. He brought in snacks whenever he thought I might feel like eating (which wasn't often at all). He put things on the monitors in a variety and watched for where I was looking. In an instant, he'd change the screens around so I could watch it on the biggest one. He laughed and joked with me so much that I even popped a couple of smiles. Their rarity made him beam once he successfully made me grin at all.

He was like an open book with me and so patient in an excited way. He offered blankets and pillows as soon as I started a yawn. Because he knew I was getting tired, Zack started talking less and less as the night, I would assume it was night then, dragged on. Leon did his part in all this. Somehow he found a way to juggle the both of us easily. Keeping Zack on his toes in the ways of my cuts and making sure everything was alright with me. Otherwise, Leon stayed in the other room. I think he was the one who cooked and cleaned, though. Zack only went in and got it for me once he thought necessary. The two of them worked together swimmingly. I doubt Leon was the type to enjoy conversations or entertaining people as much as Zack did. Not even close.

Once Zack was sure I had eaten enough, he stood and powered down all of the monitors in a swift motion. He'd probably done this a thousand times. "I'll keep this one on, though," he said, typing and setting the brightness down on a smaller screen. "This is a program that'll track Alex around the building. If he comes out of his room, that is." The picture was of a small corridor that felt familiar. A single metal door at the end of it and red lights glowing just along the walls. "Good night, Katie." I nodded to him with my eyes sinking into darkness. He left through the door Leon was behind, leaving me in unfamiliar darkness in a dangerous environment. I dreamed of May that night. Over and over again, the throbbing of my wounds entered the dream. She sliced them open over and over again and that dream didn't let me black out or someone save me. I was stuck in an endless loop of pain.

Leon shook me awake. They must've herd me mumbling and groaning enough to get up and stop me. He held a glass of water in one hand, slowly rising it to my tired lips for me. It tasted chalky. Medicinal water was what he gave me. Something strong, too. I was limp and numb within the minute. Leon knew what he was doing.

Groggily, I hummed and whinced. "Come on, kate," the pale angel said in the dark, "Drink this for me." I opened my eyes and tried to focus on what was happening. Leon was close enough for me to actually take in his features. He looked so silky and gentile all over. His eyes were round and a pretty pale blue. They looked so kind and childlike... I leaned against my elbows and picked my body up enough to drink the liquid. Leon gradually poured it into my mouth. Just a little at a time, giving me as many chances to breathe as I may want. So careful.

Once done, Leon patted the top of my head a few times. "Good job," he said softly, "Can you try to go back to sleep?" I nodded, nervous I'd have another dizzying nightmare.

I didn't dream again, though. The feeling in my body was gone. Along with the pain. I slept like the dead for however long was left in that night. Or for however long Zack could remain quiet and in the next room.