Chapter 5: First Day at Work

~Ollie~

       I watched as Grant struggled with the very simple task of putting on his shirt. His hands were shaking way too much and he couldn't even get his arms through the sleeves.

       He accidentally dropped the shirt so I got off of the bed and picked it up for him before helping him get his arms in the sleeve.

       "Maybe you should call Dan and ask to start your training another day if your withdrawal symptoms are this bad today," I said as I buttoned up the shirt for Grant.

       "I-I can't," Grant said. "I need to start training as soon as possible so I can get the money I need to pay off those guys."

       "Will they leave you alone if you pay them off the next time?" I asked.

       Grant didn't reply but that was the answer that I needed. Though it was not one that I wanted to hear. I didn't get why they couldn't leave Grant alone. He paid them off. What more did they want?

       "I'll be fine," Grant said instead. "I can handle myself.

       "Not when you're like this..." I sighed quietly.

       "This is just... temporary," Grant said. 

       "Yeah, but for how long?" I asked.

       Again, Grant didn't give me an answer. I'd rather him not give me an answer because he wasn't sure than to lie to me and say what I wanted to hear.

       Once I finished buttoning up Grant's shirt, I gently rested my hand on his cheek. "If the symptoms get worse, please tell me," I said. "I want to be here for you."

       Grant smiled softly and rested his forehead on mine. "I will. I promise."

       I smiled back at him before pressing my lips on his, then pulling him in for a tight hug. I wasn't going to lie and say I wasn't worried about him. I was extremely worried. Grant paid those guys off but they lied and said it was for something else so he still had to pay them back.

       What if this was going to become a pattern? What if they would only keep telling him they still haven't been paid back?

       And what would happen if Grant didn't pay them back?

       "I... should be heading to the diner now," Grant said.

       "Do you want me to walk you there?" I asked.

       Grant nodded so I got ready with him before we headed out into the village so Grant could start his first day at the diner. I really hoped his training went well and his withdrawal symptoms weren't going to interfere with it.

       We got to the diner and I immediately pulled Grant into a hug. "Good luck," I said. "And please call me if the symptoms get worse."

       "I will," Grant said. "And thank you. For not getting mad at me or being disappointed in me."

       "Hey," I said, pulling away to cup his face in my hands. "I would never get mad at you for relapsing. I told you, there's always a risk for addicts to relapse. I wouldn't want you to get mad at me if I ever relapse."

       "I would never," Grant said.

       "Exactly," I said. "So I shouldn't get mad at you. And as much as I hate not being by your side, you need to get to work." I gave Grant a lingering kiss. "I love you."