Chapter 39: A Scheme for Love

~Ollie~

       "Are you sure this is going to work?" I asked, watching as we walked to the diner, each carrying a bag of groceries. "Because she has been a bit hostile every time we mention Ernest. If we bring her here, she'll probably hate us even more."

       "Then I won't make her a bridesmaid for the wedding," Grant said. "And there's no way she could be mad after Ernest was able to convince Dan and Destiny to let him use the diner after it closed just so he and Hennessy could have a special night."

       "Yeah, but... Hennessy is as stubborn as you," I said. "She might not be so willing to forgive Ernest, even if he does this grand, romantic gesture."

       "And again, I bring up the point of her not being a bridesmaid to her twin brother's wedding if she doesn't forgive Ernest," Grant said.

       "I don't think it's that easy."

       Grant sighed. "I wish it was that easy. I know she still has feelings for Ernest but like you said, she's as stubborn as me. If this whole... romantic gesture doesn't work, I don't know what else will. Well, except looking them together in a room but I'm worried that won't end will for Ernest."

       "Then let's hope this works," I said as we walked into the diner, which was now closed. 

       Ernest was the only there, working in the kitchen. Grant and I walked into the kitchen, dropping the grocery bags in the kitchen. "Here is everything else you need," Grant said.

       "Thank you so much," Ernest said. "Seriously. I don't know what I would do if it weren't for you two."

       "Don't mention it," Grant said. "You've been going through so much trouble to try and win back Hennessy. You're really proving yourself here. So need any help with the cooking? I know you want to make it yourself but it will also speed up the process if you have two people helping."

       "One," I corrected. "I'm not... the best cook. I could make simple things but this looks more fancy and I'd rather not mess it up. I'll just sit by the counter and check Grant out. I mean... Watch."

       "Sure thing, Oliver," Grant said, winking at me before I went to sit at the counter that had a perfect view of the kitchen.

       Ernest told Grant that it would really help if he made the cinnamon rolls while Ernest continued to work on the dinner.

       Grant smiled softly at the request. "It's either a huge coincidence or you know what Hennessy's favourite dessert is."

       "Of course I know what it is," Ernest said. "I'm only making her favourite foods tonight."

       "Dang, if she doesn't take you back, I might have to snatch you up myself," Grant said.

       "Grant!" I said. "I'm sitting right here!"

       "Uh, obviously," Grant said. "I'm not going to miss my insanely hot fiance sitting right there, looking as hot as ever."

       "Only you would use hot twice in the same sentence to try and compliment me," I said.

       Grant winked at me yet again as Ernest said, "Wait. Are you two engaged?"

       "We are," I said, smiling softly.

       "Well, congratulations to the two of you," Ernest said.

       "Thanks," Grant said. "Yeah, Ollie was getting tired of me asking to marry him every day so he thought h--"