Chapter 21: A Side Effect

~Ollie~

       Grant had been a bit off the past couple days. He was just a lot more quiet all the time and for him, that was definitely not normal. Even when his withdrawal symptoms were very heavy, he wasn't quiet and sad all the time.

       Like he was now.

       And I hated it. I hated seeing him the opposite of how he normally was but I didn't feel like I could do anything about it. He wasn't telling me what was wrong. He kept assuring me everything was fine and he was only tired all the time.

       I knew being tired was a part of it. I just knew there was more than what he was leading on.

       I get that it wasn't easy to talk about negative emotions and feelings but I still wish he would talk to me. 

       Auditions for the school play was happening right now and just like last year, all members wanting to participate in the play had to be there, whether it be the actors, orchestra, set design, costume design. 

       So Grant and I were the right now but he wasn't really paying attention to the auditions, even though his sister was up soon. Then again, it was hard for him to pay attention since he was currently asleep right now, his head resting on my shoulder. 

       When school finished, I noticed how exhausted he was and I tried convincing him to go home to rest but he couldn't. If anyone missed today's meeting, they wouldn't be able to be part of whatever they were here for. Strict, yes but there was nothing we could do about it.

       Grant had to stay here, though, no matter how exhausted he was and how much better he would be at home. At least he was taking the time to nap right now.

       Hennessy's audition was soon and I wanted to wake Grant up when it was her turn but at the same time, I just wanted to let him sleep.

       He clearly wasn't getting enough sleep at nights and he never tried napping during the day so now that he was asleep right now, it was best to let him stay asleep.

       I just hoped Hennessy wouldn't be mad that Grant slept right through it. We were close to the back row so there was a chance that Hennessy wouldn't even notice Grant was asleep, especially if she was really into her audition song.

       While the current student was auditioning, I notice Dad walk into the auditorium. When he saw me and Grant, he walked over and crouched down beside me. "How's he doing?" Dad asked. "I noticed how exhausted he was during my class."

       "Well, he's sleeping right now so the exhaustion took over completely," I said. "I wanted him to go home but it's mandatory for the orchestra people to be here, even though it's just auditions."

       "I'll go talk to Ms Parth then," Dad said. "I really think it would be best for Grant to go home right now and get some proper rest."

       "Okay," I said so Dad got up and went to Ms Parth, who was sitting at the front with the rest of the teachers who were going to help out with the play.

       If Ms Parth did let Grant go home, I really hoped Hennessy wouldn't get mad that he had to miss her audition but, and I hated saying this, his health was just as important. And right now, his health wasn't the best right now.

       Dad soon walked back to me. "She said it's definitely fine that Grant goes home. It's mainly mandatory so people don't skip out just because they don't feel like coming to the first meeting but she doesn't expect people to stay if they're feeling sick or they have an appointment or any legitimate excuse."