Chapter 37: An Unforgettable Night

~Ollie~

       "Grant, I know how to tie my own tie," I said as Grant took the tie around my neck into his hands as he tried tying it for me.

       "Clearly you don't if it looks like this," Grant said. 

       "I can do it myself," I said, pushing Grant's hands away and turning to the mirror to try and fix the tie.

       "Wow, okay, no need to get so touchy over it," Grant said, sitting down on the couch and leaning back into it. "I was just trying to help."

       "And I told you, I know how to tie my own tie," I said. Although for some reason, I couldn't focus enough to actually tie it properly. Actually, I knew what the reason was but I was trying my best to ignore it for now.

       Dad was in the living room, just watching me being moody so he walked over and said, "Here, let me help you."

       "Does anyone know what the meaning of 'I can do it myself' is?" I asked. "Because clearly, you don't."

       "Oliver, stop being moody and just let me help you," Dad said. I scowled, allowing my dad to fix my tie for me. He clearly was fed up if he called my by my full name and not just 'Ollie'.

       After Dad finished with my tie, Grant stood up from the couch saying, "Great. Can we go now?"

       "I actually need to talk to my son first," Dad said. "Can you meet him outside?"

       "Yeah, sure," Grant said, heading outside and closing the front door behind him.

       "I don't have time to talk right now," I told Dad. "Grant and I are already late to the prom."

       "Because you've been moody this whole time and weren't even able to do something as simple as tying you tie, which you've done so many times before," Dad said. "Is everything okay between you and Grant?"

       "Uh, yeah, of course," I said. "Why do you ask?"

       "Because you both live with me," Dad said. "You two were so happy and affectionate not too long ago but then recently, it's like there's some underlying tension there."

       I sighed heavily, not sure if I should tell Dad the reason of the tension between me and Grant. 

       "So... There is something?" Dad asked. "Is it something you want to talk about?"

       I couldn't hold it in anymore. I had kept this a secret for so long without telling anyone about it. Maybe telling my dad will help lift the tension since I was the one causing it.

       "Okay, so..." I said slowly. "The reason there's tension between us is because of this." I reached into my back pocket and pulled out the small box that was in there. "I'm... planning on proposing to Grant. Tonight."

       "...You are?" Dad asked.

       "Yeah..." I said. "Are we too young? I just... Ever since the whole incident during the winter dance, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I love Grant so much and I don't want to lose him. I want to spend the rest of my life with him."

       Dad smiled softly. "If you think it's the right time, then you should do it. It all depends on what the two of you want."

       "So you don't think we're too young?" I asked.

       "Like I said, if you think the time is right, then you should do it," Dad said. "But you might have to fix that tension between you two."