Chapter 10

Hey everyone! I was going to update this on Friday but I ended up doing a ton of homework and didn't have time to finish writing the chapter... same with Saturday... so I am sorry for that! Thank you so much for 2.1k reads!!! I can't believe it! I made that edit of Biana up there! Here is Chapter 10! Can you believe it?? Chapter 10!

Chapter 10

Sophie stared at Tam and Linh's majestic house. They had done a wonderful job of incorporating their abilities into the house. Black and blue seemed to intertwine and mix, creating spiral and waved patterns along the house side. Those patterns gave the house a very specific shape. It had two towers that rose from it. Ripplespire... they called it. Keefe's hand tightened on hers for a moment, and she turned her head to look into his eyes.

He opened his mouth slightly and then shook his head and looked away. "Why don't you go in?" he said with his back turned to her.

Sophie couldn't see his expression. She didn't know what was wrong, but the subdued tone and his downcast position told her something was wrong. "Keefe..." she said softly as she walked to his side. Sophie put her hand under his chin and made him meet her eyes. "What's wrong?" she asked as his sad eyes looked into hers.

Keefe shook his head. "It doesn't matter. It's not like you really want to know anyways," he told her.

Sophie sighed. "But I really do want to know. I care about you, Keefe! I can't help you if you keep secrets from me," she told him.

"But aren't you doing that to Fitz right now? And Fitz to you too?" Keefe whispered.

"What do you mean?" Sophie inquired, a confused expression appeared on her face.

Keefe stood still. Too still. What did he know? Sophie gasped and Keefe nodded. "I know you like him, Soph. I know you do," Keefe told her.

"But Keefe... I just kissed you..." Sophie said with a shocked look.

"I know... but... it wasn't truly real," Keefe said sadly. His eyes were now intense and focused on Sophie. "It was just a dare.

"It was still a kiss. A heart-pounding one at that," Sophie said, her eyes begging with Keefe. "I thought... I thought you cared about me."

"I do, Sophie... but I don't know if I can when I see your heart lies with another," Keefe told her as he tried to move away from Sophie.

Sophie grabbed his hand and pulled him back to her. "You can't leave. Not now. I... I.... need you...."

Keefe looked her right in the eyes. "For you, Sophie... I would do anything. Anything at all. But the soulmate process... and stuff... I need a bit of a break to think about things..."

Sophie stared at him, unable to say anything. Keefe pulled her into a hug and ran his hand through Sophie's hair. "I'm sorry, Sophie," he whispered.

Sophie stared at the night sky from where her head lay on Keefe's shoulder. She sighed. "I'm sorry too... but you're my friend. I hate seeing you this way.

Keefe let out a heavy sigh. "Me too," he whispered.

"Would you please at least come back to the sleepover with me? They're expecting both of us," Sophie said pleading with him.

"I guess," he said quietly, his tone husky. "But after the sleepover... I need some time to think."

Sophie pulled back and nodded. "Okay," she told him. "You're amazing. You know that, right?"

Keefe chuckled. "Yes I do. I believe my hair tells me that every day," he said, giving a glance upwards. "Every wonderful, Neverseen-free day. It's the bliss!"