t w e l v e

"River! Oh my gosh, you've gotten so big!"

River giggled and hugged her mom as best she could with her tummy in the way.

"Oh, you and Hayze's baby is going to be so beautiful," her mom gushed before pulling her into her old house.

"Thank you for the baby shower mama."

"Oh no need to thank me. I'm so happy I'm getting a grandchild!" Her mom squealed. "Come come and we can eat."

°•○●○•°

"River, be careful. I don't want you to hurt yourself," Hayze said as he warily eyed the pinata.

She rolled her eyes and shook her head. The more pregnant she looked, the more protective Hayze got.

She swung at the heart shaped pinata once. Then twice. Then thrice and then on her fourth hit the pinata exploded and pink confetti, glitter and candy burst out into the air.

She squealed and jumped happily before Hayze suddenly scooped her into his arms and peppered kisses all over her face.

"We're having a girl!" Hayze shouted in excitement, his smile brighter than everyones in the room.

Cheers and claps filled the room and they begged Hayze to let River go so they could hug and congratulate her.

The only person missing... was Rudi.

Hayze still refused to talk to Rudi. He was mad that the one man he really trusted had betrayed him by kissing the woman that he loved more than anything. 

River hugged her family and then Hayze's family before sitting down because her feet were sore. She wanted to take off her wedges but she didn't want her mother nagging her about having her shoes off outside.

Her mom had eased up on her the tiniest bit, but she was still strict and didn't completely approve of River's childish behavior. Especially now because she was soon to be a mom herself.

Hayze sat down beside her after talking for about twelve minutes and passed her a cold glass of water. She thanked him and took small sips as she tried to get comfortable on the swinging couch. Her face screwed up as she felt a stitch in her lower abdomen.

"You okay babygirl?" Hayze asked as he ran his hand down her back to soothe her. 

She shifted uncomfortably and nodded. "Yeah, I just... ouch." She stood up to get the sore feeling out of her side. 

"Are you sure you're okay? Should we go to the doctor?"

She laughed softly and stretched a bit. "Stop worrying so much Hayze. You'll have gray hairs before our baby is born."

He stood up and pointed at her tummy. "No River. I have every reason to worry. You f~cking lost the baby last time so-"

He grew wide eyed as she took a step back, a hurt expression on her face.  

"I-I didn't mean to lo-"

"No River. Babygirl. You know I didn't-"

"Yes you did. I know it was my fault. I'm so we-"

"It wasn't your fault."

She shook her head and tears filled her eyes. "It was. You know it. I see the sad look on your face sometimes. And you... you talk in your sleep."

His eyes widened. "I talk in my sleep?"

"Sometimes. I feel horrible for what happened all the time and I try not to think about it. I'm grateful for the baby I have now, but I'm scared the same thing will happen. My last baby didn't even have a chance."

"Maybe we should talk about this when we go home. I don't want you to be sad for your baby shower. I don't want you to be sad at all."

She sighed heavily and stretched until she felt her spine stretch and her shoulders crack. "This is nice but I'm feeling a little tired. I kind of want to go home."

"Are you sure?"

She nodded, her mood slightly dampened. "Yeah."

The couple left after saying thank you and goodbye with a sort of heaviness to their hearts. They said they would talk about it when they got home, but they didn't. They had lied to themselves. 

They didn't talk about it because it hurt too much. But not communicating is what tore a lot of people apart. 

Its what they had yet to realize.