t h i r t e e n

Hayze didn't know why the air around them felt different; more tense

Hayze didn't know why the air around them felt different; more tense. Him and River didn't talk the whole time they decorated the babies room which used to be the room River slept in.

They kept the walls the same lavender color but Hayze had pasted plastic flowers that glowed a light yellow and pink on the ceiling and River painted little floral designs along the wall.

The room was silent except for the shuffling and the sound of the paint brush running over the wall for a whole hour before Hayze noticed River climbing up onto a chair.

Hayze scrambled up to River as she climbed up onto the chair and grabbed her waist so she wouldn't fall.

She turned around and scowled at him. "You don't need to watch my every movement Hayze."

"I don't want you to fall."

"I won't fall," she said as she pushed his hands off her. "I'm not a baby."

"No. But you're carrying our baby. And I need you both safe."

Her eyes narrowed and she cradled her baby bump. "So you think I'm not capable of keeping our baby safe?"

"Stop it River. You'll be a terrific mother. So either you can get down or you can let me hold you steady."

"Or..." she started. "You can let me do it myself."

He chuckled and shook his head. "You're stubborn when your pregnant."

"What's that supposed to mean?" she asked as she looked down at her bump. She could no longer see her feet.

"That you're pregnant and I don't want you getting hurt so don't argue with me."

She scoffed and turned around before dipping her brush in the paint and creating a thin line that connected to some small leaves.

Hayze hovered behind her, not touching her, but close enough to where he'd catch her if she did happen to fall.

"See," she said as she finished the vine. "I didn't f-"

Hayze rolled his eyes and caught her as her foot slipped off the back of the chair. He pulled her into his chest as he held her close, his heart beating fast in his chest. She looked up sheepishly at him before leaning up and pecking his lips.

"Technically, I didn't fall," she grinned, her cheeks burning in embarrassment.

He chuckled - because it was hard to stay mad at her - and placed a soft kiss her forehead. "Silly girl."

"You love me."

"I do."

°•○●○•°

The air felt cool but comfortable as Hayze walked his wife through the garden.

He could feel the nerves setting in because River had been getting cramps in her side and eventually he had convinced her to go to the doctor for it.

He was beyond shocked when the doctor said she was getting false contractions. Preparing her for birth.

So basically, she was almost ready to give birth.

It was two weeks early but River had told him she was ready. She didn't really enjoy the pain in her back and the soreness of her feet.

The nursery was ready and the hospital bag was packed. So technically they were ready.

But Hayze was scared. He was scared that he'd hurt the baby somehow. He'd never really held a baby before, let alone taken care of one.

And he didn't want to be that guy that gave all the responsibilities to their wives.

He knew River would be an excellent mom. But he wanted to be a good dad. And he didn't know how to do that. Not when his father hardly set a good example. Not until later on in his life anyway.

 Not until later on in his life anyway