Twentyone. 💚

Beechborough was busy when I arrived, people were in the streets leaving clubs and pubs after a night on the town. I had been one of them not so long ago, wearing a short skirt, heels and tottering in the street looking for a man to go home with or a kebab to eat. Now I was in the streets with a hoodie covering my face wearing some old battered converse that was soaked through. The rain had gone but I still looked like a drowned rat. 

Passing through the town no one spoke to me but I could see them looking at me, looking at the girl who was a mess as she tried to act normally. I wondered what people thought of me, I wondered if I knew any of them, yet I just kept my head down as I didn't want any trouble. I didn't want to draw any more attention to myself than I already was. 

I headed away from the centre of the town and to the estates where I might be able to find an old home to break into and stay the night, maybe even a drug squat, they let anyone stay. Heading into a flat block, it was like one you saw in films with many flats in small spaces. I headed up to the top floor, easier to work your way down. My nose followed the smell of weed that hung around in the fresh air. I walked passed many doors before I headed down the stairs. 

This next floor brought me joy when I came across a boarded-up door that was slightly cracked open. I pushed it open and was greeted with the sight of many different people all huddled around, some sleeping, some doing drugs, some just spaced out. 

"Do you have payment?" A grey-haired woman asked me as she stumbled towards me. 

I reached into my pocket and handed her a strip of the pills I had been taking before she pocketed them. She reached for me, her hand pushing my hood down before she gasped at my face. Quickly I yanked my hood back up and suddenly became very aware of my face. 

"You child, you are young," she spoke in broken English. "You should not be here."

"Please," I begged. "I just need a place to sleep."

She looked around the crowded room before she motioned for me to follow her, she headed into a separate room where there was a small bed. "You sleep here," she nodded at me. "In the morning you leave." Her wrinkles on her forehead were deep as she frowned at me.

I nodded at her, my hands shaking with fear before she left me alone. 

Her face when she saw my slash made me very aware of the fact that I had it, that I would always be known as the girl who the massive scar on her face. I didn't want that to be who I was now.

Quickly I stripped out of the wet clothes and put on some clothes from my bag before I climbed into the small bed. I looked at my phone which was almost dead due to the phone ringing off the hook, Harry had called at least another thirty times. It was getting ridiculous now, laying the phone on the pillow I tried to get some sleep. 

💚💚

Looking at the sky, the pink was beautiful but was broken by the black clouds that were coming in. I frowned as I watched, the black clouds also brought something more, watching I saw someone coming into my view. Squinting my eyes I tried to make out the person but the clouds made everything dark, I couldn't make out their face even as they stood in front of me. 

"Who are you?" I asked as I tried to work out who it was. 

The person didn't speak, I couldn't see anything only darkness until I felt their hand on my left cheek. It was warm and soft as they touched me. Like an idiot I leaned into the touch, I couldn't seem to get enough of it. 

"Please don't leave," the words left my lips before I could stop them. "Please."

"Ell," the person spoke, the accent was obvious as I heard it, the Irish accent which had haunted my mind for so long.