Fortyseven. 👣

H A R R Y S T Y L E S

Arriving at Granston, it was eerily quiet, something wasn't right but I couldn't quite place my finger on it. Slowly I stepped out of my car before I closed the door shut as Terry's car pulled up alongside mine. I waited as he got out of his car and looked at me, "Let's get inside. I have to make a few calls."

Nodding at his request I followed him inside the house via the front door. Terry stopped a few paces in as did I as my eyes scanned the surrounding room. There didn't seem to be anything here that looked out of the ordinary but something didn't feel right. 

"Someone has been here," Terry stated as he looked around the room before he walked away and through the house to the other side. 

I followed him, my steps large as I kept up with his fast pace before he got into his office. I saw it instantly and if I saw it so did he. The photo of his children on his desk was facing down, he never moved it unless he was looking at it. "Terry," I said his name before he headed around his desk and looked through his drawers. 

"Check all the rooms!" He demanded as he rifled through his stuff. 

Leaving his office I headed through the house and up the stairs, looking in the bedrooms things looked normal enough until I got to Elliott's. Her bed was ruffled and as I got closer I saw blood on the covers, as I touched it I realised it was dry but that didn't mean a thing. Maybe she'd made it out, maybe she was here and okay but just hiding. Maybe this was the only place she knew to go to. 

"Elliott!" I called as I looked around the room, looking under the bed and in the closets. "Elliott!" Charging through the house and calling her name into every room I was met with nothing. 

Pushing the bathroom door open I glanced around and saw blood remains on the bottom of the bath, she must have been here and got cleaned up, she must still be here. She wouldn't come home and take a shower if she was still in danger. 

I continued to call her name out as I rushed down the stairs and through the house before I came face to face with Terry at the office door. "She's been here!" 

Terry looked surprised, "She's alive?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "There is blood on her sheets, blood in the bath."

He pushed past me and ran towards the direction I had just come from. I, on the other hand, headed down the stairs to the basement, I remembered she went down here once, the time she was trying to get out of going to her aunt's. 

Kicking every door open I was met with nothing until I got to the very room she nearly died in, the room she was strangled in. There against the wall was Elliott, her hands bound to the walls by the metal shackles, her whole body limp. Stepping towards her I touched her face, not only was she very cold she was unrecognisable, her face bruised and swollen. 

"Terry!" I shouted as I scrambled in the drawers for the keys, "Terry!" I pulled the keys out from the drawer before my shaking hands tried to unlock the cuffs as Terry bust through the door. 

"Ell!" He shouted as he rushed over to her, taking her in his arms as I undid the cuffs around her wrists. I watched as he clutched her body, his fingers trying to find a pulse as he broke down, tears leaving his eyes as realisation set in. 

It was real, too real. Elliott was dead, she was here at her own home all that time and she was dead. She'd been here and from the look of her, she had suffered, her poor face looking so unbelievably mangled. 

Something didn't make sense though as I looked over her, something wasn't right. "Is it really her?" I asked as I let thoughts swarm my head. 

I would never get to tell her how I actually felt about her. I would never get to make everything between us okay. After everything, I would never get to just hold her, just be close to her. 

Terry didn't answer the question as he held the body in his arms. 

He would know his own daughter, he would know and I was just clutching at straws, desperate as I hoped that everything wasn't true. I turned away from Terry as I felt a tear in my eye, wiping it away I headed out of the room, I needed a moment to myself, a moment to let out a bit of grief without Terry catching on. 

I held my head in my hands as leaned against the wall, I let out a sigh, a groan as I closed my eyes. She was so close, she had been here all along, suffering and we'd all been fighting too much to realise. If I had of trusted my gut, trusted my instinct I might have found her or at least been here to comfort her in her last moments. 

"Harry?" Terry's voice called for me. 

Heading back through I stood up straight as I looked down at him, his arms still wrapped around her body. "Yes?"

"Set up the meeting room," he told me calmly. "The others should all be here soon."

"Can I-"

"Just do it!"

I nodded before I left the room, I didn't want to argue with his sharp tongue right now. 

He was a broken man as he held her body, he had lost both of his children in a short time and now he had nothing left to lose. Terry had always been a bit of a maniac when he was pushed to the limit but somehow he always pulled himself back for Ell and Thomas, now though, there was nothing holding him back, nothing to keep him in check. 

Knowing that Elliott was downstairs dead made me feel sick, made me feel like I had failed her. All I wanted to do was to keep her safe, I wanted to make sure she was okay. I knew she'd understand when I explained to her that I was helping my mother, I just never got back to her, never got back to the hospital in time. Now, now, Elliott was dead, I had done this, I was part of this and that killed me.