21┃Christopher

Chris took a deep breath as he walked into the coffee shop. The familiar and soothing smell hit him like a truck. He looked around as a lanky hand shot up to the sky and waved at him.

The woman was breathtaking. She was wearing a bright yellow romper with a red jacket. Her long black hair flowing behind her. Chris wondered if she was sitting on it.

          "I'm loving the bow tie." She pointed out as he sat down in front of her.

          "I can sense you have great taste, Clarissa." He replied scooting his chair forward. She chuckled; a soft, short one.

          "Please call me Clary. I'm just glad you could make it this time." She said. Her voice was soft and low.

          "I'm glad too." Christopher smiled back. "Can I get you a coffee?"

          "I got it. What would you like?" She asked getting up, removing her handbag hanging from the side of the chair.

          "A Latte. Medium." Chris smiled back. A woman with great taste in clothes and agrees to pay for food - Chris found the one. He watched as she walked to the counter and stood in line.

It had been a while since he had gone out on a date. He would have been lying if he said that his palms were dry and steady.

Chris jumped when his phone began to vibrate. He swiped the screen to answer the call.

          "This better be important." He muttered.

          "Would I disturb your date otherwise?"

          "What do you want?"

          "We have a job to do, so get your ass up and walk to the black car parked outside."

Chris sat forward as he looked out the glass doors for the black car. He found it to see Alexa waving at him from the driver's seat.

          "Do you really need me right now? Can't you take Jacob?"

          "Jacob is busy with his girlfriend."

Clary walked to the table with a worried look on her face.

You have to go? She mouthed.

Chris pressed his lips and nodded.

          "I'm coming." He told Alexa and cut the call.

          "I'm really sorry." He said getting up. "I really like you but I have to go right now. How about dinner? I'll take you to your favourite restaurant?"

Clary smiled a sad smile. "Chris I don't think we'll work. You seem pretty busy at the moment. Maybe we should just not see each other till you get settled in."

          "Maybe after that, we can see if we work or not." She got up from her chair and gave him a peck on the cheek. "Goodbye, Chris."

She picked up her coffee from the table and proceeded to walk out the coffee shop without so much as a glance back.

His phone rang again.

          "As cheesy and sad as that was, I really need you to straighten up and come to the car."

He cut the call. He picked up his coffee which had the name 'Clarissa' written on it. She took his coffee instead of hers.

He shrugged and took a sip as he pushed the glass door and walked on to the pavement.