32┃Jacob

"My turn," Jacob said as he placed his spoon down. They were sitting opposite to each other on a booth. "Two truths and a lie right? Okay, I have gotten a papaya as a birthday gift." He started, counting with his fingers. "I have been asked out by a woman three times my age. I have been asked out by a man three times my age. Go."

Alexa licked her spoon slowly and then removed it and pointed it at Jacob. "I'm going to go with the pumpkin thing. That's the lie right?"

Jacob chuckled as he shook his head. "Nope."

       "The man?"

       "Nope."

       "Really? The woman?" She asked as she pushed her empty ice cream cup and reached out for a scoop from his.

       "Yep." He replied as he pushed his ice cream in between them. "Actually, the papaya isn't the weirdest gift I have gotten."

       "I've had some weird gifts too. Want to see who has had weirder ones?"

       "You're on. You go first." Jacob replied smirking.

       "Okay," Alexa said licking her lips, her eyes wandering about as she thought of a gift. Jacob never had as much fun as he was having on any mission before this. The largest mission of the agency with a deadline of two weeks with their lives on the line and there they were, playing like kids. "I have gotten a bag full of tennis balls. About twenty easily."

       "I got a racoon for my nineteenth birthday."

       "I got a lightbulb for my tenth birthday."

       "I got a cycle helmet and I didn't own a cycle," Jacob smirked.

       "Okay." Alexa paused. "I have one that's going to wreck everything... I got a life-size structure of the planet, Uranus with a statement engraved on it "Ur anus is as big as my heart."."

       "You're right," Jacob said cracking up. "That's a good one."

       "Yeah. That is the best gift I've ever gotten."

       "Who was it by?" Jacob asked as he called over a waiter.

       "My ex-girlfriend."

       "What?"

       "You called?" The waiter asked as he reached the table. Jacob's head flipped between the waiter and Alexa and finally landed on the waiter. "Yeah...just another large chocolate chip ice cream. Thanks."

Once the waiter left he turned back to Alexa. "Girlfriend? You mean like the friends who are girls or..."

       "The girls who love your anus?" Alexa continued. "I guess I forgot to tell you. I'm bisexual."

       "Wow. Finding out a lot about you, huh?" He said slowly.

       "Mhm. That's what you're thinking about? Not me in some girl on girl action?" Alexa smirked.

       "Can't a man do both?" Jacob replied. Alexa chuckled.

       "She was my only girlfriend ever and then we had to move to different cities for different missions, so we decided to take a break. That's where I met Jackson. Now, to be fair we were on a break and I didn't see her again for over two years. But she popped in between to see me and found Jackson instead. One thing led to another and I walked in on them making out on my bed. Fun."

Jacob didn't reply. It was uncanny. For an entire month, she hadn't spoken a word about her life and all of a sudden he knew her history of relationships.

       "Here you go." A waitress placed the ice cream between them.

       "I'm not going to bite," Alexa said once she left. "You can reply."

Jacob paused for a second before replying. "You almost kissed me yesterday. That was after you called Jackson to kill the guy for you...what was that about?"

Alexa licked her lips and glanced down. "Uhhhh. So basically, I was in a vulnerable state. Not really sure...uh...what I was doing. And I'm glad you didn't take advantage. But we are pretty close to the end of the mission and I don't think we will work out." She said quickly.

       "Why not?"

       "Excuse me?" Her head jerked up.

       "Why won't we work out?" Jacob repeated grabbing a spoon full of chocolate ice cream and stuffing it into his mouth.

       "You have a little...uh..." Alexa said pointing to his chin. Jacob rubbed the chocolate of his chin and gave her a raised eyebrow to answer the question. "Do you want it to work?"

       "I just want to know why it won't."

       "It just won't. I have two failed relationships to prove that." She shrugged. "You're going to disappear into another mission. I'm leaving. There isn't really much of a future."

       "Right," Jacob replied curtly.

They sat in silence after that, eating the ice cream. Alexa glanced at the clock. It was late. "We should go back. Chris will worry."

       "Yeah," Jacob said scooting out of the booth. He passed the ice cream cup, still half full. "I'll drive. You eat."

Alexa nodded as she removed the car keys from her pocket. She dropped a few crisp notes on the table to pay and followed him to the door.

She was just taking another lick of the ice cream on her spoon when her phone rang. Keeping the spoon in her mouth, she removed her phone. She mumbled something through the spoon, but Jacob just shrugged having no idea what she said.  She removed the spoon and repeated "Chris." They got into the car and she attended the call on speaker.

       "Yeah Chris, we're on the way." She said. They still hadn't left the parking compound.

Jacob was just about to reverse when the voice on the other side made him stop.

       "Come soon," Chase said. "We need to talk."

✘✘✘21-4-19An update a day keeps the wait away

✘✘✘
21-4-19
An update a day keeps the wait away.
Vote and comment