18┃Stephen

Stephen squinted as his eyes adjusted to the bright light. He felt heavy. He blinked his eyes trying to figure out where he was, without moving his head too much. There were needles poking into his arm. A breathing tube attached below his nose.

Christina was slumped on the chair beside him. She was sleeping, in what looked like the most uncomfortable position possible.

He took a deep breath and immediately regretted it. The pain that suddenly surged through his body was unexplainable. His fingers moved about the edge of his bed until he found the button to call the nurse. He pressed it. Within a few seconds, Christina was shaken awake and a nurse was checking him.

Christina was crying softly. He held his hand out and she walked forward to hold it.

         "It's okay." He said weakly. "It's all okay."

Christina nodded her head, one hand covering her mouth as she continued to cry.

         "We thought you were dead. They said you were dead." She hiccuped. "You were on the black sheet." Hiccup. " I thought you were dead. That you were gone."

         "It's okay." Stephen comforted rubbing his thumb across her knuckles.

A doctor walked in. The nurse scuttled to her and they talked in hushed tones as she checked his report card.

         "I'm going to call Alexa. Let her know you're okay." Christina said as she grabbed her phone from the chair and walked out of the room.

         "How's everyone else?" Stephen asked the doctor. "How many dead?"

She pursed her lips. "You need to rest right now. We can talk about all this later."

Stephen wanted to argue but he knew that wouldn't help him in any way.

         "The nurse is going to increase the drugs by a little bit to make the pain decrease. You need to sleep for a little more. Okay?" She continued.

Stephen nodded his head. As the doctor leaves he turns to the nurse.

         "Where can I get my phone?"

         "You'll get your phone when you leave the hospital." The nurse replied as he adjusted the morphine drip.

         "It's just my family is probably worried sick about me. And I really need to let them know." Stephen pleaded.

         "No can do son. You need to rest." Saying so the nurse left the room holding the door for Christina to enter.

         "Christy, do you know where my phone is?"

         "Yeah. Right here." She said pulling out his phone from her back pocket.

         "Geez." Stephen let out a sigh. "Girl, I love you."

         "I love you too," Christina said smiling. "But you're not getting it. You need to rest. Just like the doctor and the nurse said."

         "Just one minute," Stephen begged. "I promise."

Christina paused. "Fine. One minute."

         "Thank you!" Stephen said as he grabbed the phone from her hand.

He unlocked it to see seven missed called and about thirty messages. All having the same gist.

I've been compromised. RUN! (12:07 pm)

Leave now! They're coming!  (12:08 pm)

         "Christy," Stephen calls.

She snaps her head up from her phone. "Yeah?"

         "Could you get me a cup of coffee or some chocolate from the vending machine down the hall?" Stephen asked. "I'm just really tired and I need some."

         "Sure. I'll have to check with the nurse first though." Christina said getting up.

         "I understand, mother." He joked. She laughed as she left the room.

Stephen immediately removed the needles on his arm and finger and changed into his pants and shirt which he wore when he got shot. They were washed and folded on one corner of the room.

He grabbed his phone and sneaked out of the room. The nurse and doctors where nowhere to be seen. Once on the corridor, he was just a usual visitor and not a patient to those who didn't know him.

         "Stephen!" A familiar voice called out.

He turned around.

         "Alexa." He smiled.

         "Christina called. She said you were feeling better. She didn't say you were feeling so good you decided to leave." She said. "You know you gave us a real shock playing dead."

Stephen chuckled and then immediately held his chest in pain.

         "I need to go. We'll talk later." He said turning. His path, however, was blocked.

Prof. Dunver was standing in front of him.

         "No," Alexa said as he turned around. She was no longer smiling.

         "I think we'll talk now."

✘✘✘

✘✘✘

25-1-19
||A/N||- Like I promised. How's it so far? Action scenes have come up like I said they would. Things are starting to get a little intense. And what does Alexa want to talk to sweet boy Stephen about?
Also, like I said every 5 chapters I would put up a poll so here goes.
Place a +1 or a <3 beside the one you like.
▪Alexa
▪Jacob
▪Christopher
▪Chase
▪Christina
▪Ryder
▪Jackson
▪Stephen

Ps- Also my updates are going to get less frequent. Maybe like one every three days. I'm sorry but I really need to focus on my studies as well.

Vote and comment!