22┃Alexa

Alexa lifted her legs and twisted her body making her sit on the stretcher with her legs dangling from the side.

          "Voila." She said looking at Christopher's shocked face and pointing at Marion.

          "You're not hurt." The doctor said pointing at her thigh.

          "Yeah. Looks like that, doesn't it doc?" Alexa said looking at her body in awe.

          "I'm going to call security." He said taking a step back.

          "No need," Marion stated looking straight at her. "They're family. Visitors. Just give us some privacy."

          "But.." He stammered.

          "Out," Marion ordered. The doctor nodded and walked out of the room with the nurses behind him.

An eerie silence settled down in the room once they left.

          "But how is this possible?" Chris asked looking around. "I just saw your body in a coma. Just a few hours ago. They promised they'd call if there was any change. And here you are, eating croissants and they don't bother to inform me?"

          "Chris," Alexa called. "That wasn't Marion. That still isn't Marion. This is Marion. That's a doppelganger. Right?"

Marion nodded her head. "When'd you figure it out?"

Alexa got up from her bed and walked beside Marion's.

          "I had a nagging hunch from the beginning but I really figured it out yesterday." She replied dragging the stool and sitting down beside her mentor. "Stephen told me that you knew his cover was blown. Why on earth would you continue to stay on the mission? It just didn't make sense. And then I remembered something you taught me. 'If you ever get caught. Don't run. Pretend like you don't know so they think they have the upper hand.'"

          "It took me a while and a few visits to the hospital to realise what was going on. You found a doppelganger and replaced yourself in the undercover mission after Stephen blew the cover. You thought if you stayed back they might think you're not a part of it and you might still get the information. And even if they did suspect anything, it's not your life on the line. And when they did shoot her you realised you had to actually die to live again. So you decided to wait till I pulled the plug so you could have facial surgery or whatever to change into another person. Once I figured this out it was just a matter of time before I found you. All I had to do was track down which other hospitals had 'hotshots' and then narrow it down to the one you would be in. I really didn't expect to see you here though. I thought you would have left to another city on a plane by now." She went on.

Alexa removed the fake wound she had made out of liquid latex and threw it in the dustbin.

Marion smiled. "You were always the smart one." She looked at Christopher. "Didn't I tell you?"

Chris nodded. "Yeah, you did."

          "The reason I brought Chris along was that I knew there is something that the both of you are hiding from me. It's only a matter of time before I figure out what it is, so you might as well tell me now." Alexa said looking at the both of them.

Marion turned her attention to Christopher.

          "What do you want to know?" Christopher asked her.

          "I don't know enough to ask questions, but I know enough to make sure neither of you lies to me. So spill." Alexa replied. She didn't look mad but at the same time gave off a 'lie to me and you'll find out what choking on your own blood feels like'.

          "Alexa." Marion started. "It's better if you don't know your past."

          "Better for who?" Alexa snapped back. "My mother sent people to try and capture me. She didn't give two shits about the people around me. Jacob got shot. He could have died. The only way I can protect him is if I knew where the woman is so I can go ask her to 'fuck off' myself."

The door to the room opened. The doctor walked in with his hands up. He had a gun pointed to his head. Alexa whipped hers out from the back of her jeans and pointed it in front.

          "Well guess you didn't have to come to me." The woman behind him stated looking straight at Alexa. She had long straight black hair and bright blue eyes that seemed to look into her soul.

She walked in and closed the door behind her. Alexa still had the gun pointed to her head. Christopher had a flower vase in his hand. Alexa couldn't figure out what he was planning to fight off with that.

          "Okay. She's here. Just ask her to 'fuck off' and she can leave." Christopher muttered.

          "Darling." The woman said smiling, ignoring Christopher. "I'm Claudia, well right now I am. You're Alexa Black now, right? You're the one after the infamous Jonathan James."

Claudia pushed the doctor away and pointed the gun at Marion. Marion sat completely still. The doctor whimpered and ran to a corner of the room trying to make himself as small a possible.

          "Miss me, Marion?" Claudia asked. "You know since the last time we met. When was that? Oh right. When you took my baby away from me. You remember that?"

Marion sat absolutely still.

          "Christopher!" Claudia turned to him. "Man, you don't let go of those bow ties do you?"

Christopher's knuckles were white around the vase. He gulped visibly.

          "Marion. What baby is she talking about?" Alexa asked her fingers sweating.

Claudia made a tsk tsk sound. "She ain't going to tell you, Alexa. Cause then it would make her look like the villain. And she ain't no villain, isn't that right my cutie pie." Claudia said touching Marion's nose.

          "Tell me," Alexa ordered. Claudia smirked.

          "Sure. I'll tell. But not the whole thing. Not right now." Claudia said. "Because if I tell you the whole thing, you're going to lose your shit and blow up stuff that doesn't need blowing up and even though there's nothing more I want than you turning on these blood ridden maniacs, I can't tell you now."

She dropped her hand holding the gun. "Baby, finish the mission. Take down Jonathan James and then contact me. I'll tell you everything."

She turned around and walked out the door. Alexa slowly took down her hand.

Claudia barged back in. Alexa's hand snapped back up.

          "One more thing I forgot." She said looking at Alexa.

She pointed to Christopher.

          "He killed your father."

✘✘✘

✘✘✘

11-2-18
||A/N||- Oh crap a doodle do.
It's 1 in the morning right now and I still have seven chapters left for an exam. I think I'm getting too addicted to writing this book. Anyway.
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE EAT CAKE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!