23

Maddie sat facing the tan chalk board and copied down the Spanish notes that her teacher was writing

Maddie sat facing the tan chalk board and copied down the Spanish notes that her teacher was writing. Maddie actually had no idea why she was placed it yet another Spanish class, she had already taken two classes of it and was nearly fluent since she fell in love with the language, though she wasn't complaining since it gave her a easy class to pass and it gave her a creative writing course. She sat beside Justin who wrote down the notes and struggled to understand what Mr. Cimino was saying, Maddie smiled knowing she could help him pass the class since she would know what he needed help with and Mr. Cimino might go a little easier on him since he and Maddie had a strong student teacher bond. Maddie couldn't help but feel happy, she knew it might be wrong to feel this way but she did. She hadn't listened to or even thought about the tapes in three days, nobody was pressuring her too, in fact the were doing all they could to make her drop the tapes, she was doing fine in school and getting what she wanted out of her education. She was having nothing from her past popping up like she always did when things went good, and her relationship hadn't been this strong in months, but yet some part of her knew this wasn't going to last long, it couldn't, life was unfair in many ways and this was one.

The bell rang and Mr. Cimino said his goodbyes to the class that went on their way to lunch and Maddie heard her name being called while she walked out with Justin. The couple turned around to face Tony, Maddie had a very close relationship with Tony once upon a time though it all went away when they both ended up getting caught up in their own lives, yet they had no hard feelings and they both held a place in their heart for the other. "Mad Maddie, long time no see." Tony said smiling at the girl while Justin kissed her head and let her know he'd save her a seat at their normal lunch spot. "Terrifing Tony. I missed you." Maddie said with a small smile while she looked at the tan boy who swallowed his words. "I missed you too, but that's not what I wanted too talk about." Tony said bringing his left hand up to scratch the back of his neck. "Okay? Then what'd you want to talk about?" Maddie asked slightly confusion and it only grew when Tont looked around the hallway and pulled Maddie into the old art room which was being repainted.

"Now, this may sound weird but have you come across any.." Tony seemed to struggle with his words as he found the best way to word his sentence. "Tapes?" Tony asked letting his eyes go up to Maddies face which quickly fell and he knew he had his answer. "How do you know... Are you on the-" Tony quickly cut Maddie off. "No I'm not on the tapes, but I know about them. I need you to take your time with the tapes, but you do have to start listening to them more, I don't want to rush you but their are people that still need to hear them." Tony said while he choose his words carefully. "Uh, yeah, yeah sure." Maddie said nodding as if she was caught in a trap and needed to say the right words.

"If you ever need help with anything or need to talk about them, I'm always here for you. And I just wnated to make sure you're doing okay?" Tony asked looking over the girls features, Tony always cared for Maddie, since the day they met and he hated feeling like he was making her listen to the tapes, but he owed it to Hannah, and he knew that.

Maddie sat in her science class alone in silence until she seen the teacher start to play a movie, seeing this she quickly decided to take out her walkman and her earbuds and quickly put them in, if Tony thought she could handle these and that she needed to hear them, she was going to do it. She trusted him.

"Some girls know all the lyrics to each others songs, they find harmonies in their laughter. Their linked elbows eco in tune, what if I can't hum a key? What if my melodies are the ones nobody hears? It all started because I was feeling lost. I needed direction, any direction. Sometimes you take whatever way out you can find." Maddie sucked in a breath feeling Hannahs words on a whole other level. She wasn't connecting to Hannah's words because she felt alone and disconnected from her friends, she was connecting to it because that's how she felt with her mother at one point, she took any way to get out, a way out that should normally wouldn't even of thought of because of the dangers.

"Dream big they say, shoot for the stars. Then they lock us away for tweleve years and tell us where to sit, when to pee, and what to think. And then we turn eighteen, and even though we've never gotten to make an orginal thought we have to make the most important decision of our lives." Once again Maddie understood Hannah's words. She'd had this very conversation with Justin and Zach, her fear always seemed to control her, and this type of thing was one of her fears, choosing the wrong thing, saying the wrong thing, and then the unknown, and they all went together with that decision.

"I wanted a purpose, a reason for being on this planet, but that poetry group looked like an AA meeting, or a support group. I saw no one within decades of my age, until I saw you. You were the only other highschool kid in the room, Ryan Shaver." Maddie sighed and looked down fiddling with her fingers. This is how Tony found out about the tapes. Ryan must of told Tony everything, including her own tape, what did he think of her now? She must of done something awful and he had to know.

~~~Author Note~~~
Hey! Thank you guys so much for all the reads I know my updating is kinda sketchy right now and I'm basically missing every other updating day and the time I do the chapters are that good so I really do want you guys to know how much I love it. I just wanted to say thank you for baring with me through this, through break I should have some chapters up, but in the summer I can promise a LOT of updates.

{12.17.18}