Prologue

"He's never gonna make it, all the poor people he's forsaken, karma is gonna chase him for his lies."

-Outrunning Karma; Alec Benjamin

Mikala POV

"Hurry up, Mika, plane leaves in two hours," Mère yelled as she banged on my bedroom door, trying to get me to open it. Letting out a loud, drawn-out groan, I grabbed my phone before turning the volume all the way up, hoping the parents would change their mind about sending me away to some cooking school in Japan.

I still do not understand their reasoning for sending me away to another country. I am learning well here in France, even then they would take me on the business trips to other countries so I could learn about their culture and cuisines as well. I am doing just fine, alas they thought sending me to this cooking school would benefit me somehow.

Totsuki Culinary Academy was the name of this cooking school. Mere and Père both attended to this school, Mere graduated but Pere failed his final year. I couldn't help but snort when I heard about pere's failure. He is one of the best chefs and food critics in the nation, whoever decided to fail him must be feeling intense regret, or pride, I guess. Afterall, the saying is that failure makes you stronger. And by pere not graduation, that failure made him the owner of one of the top three most reliable food companies.

My train of thoughts was cut off by the feeling of my headphones being removed, snapping my eyes open I was met by the sight of my smiling pere, the carbon copy of myself. We are so identical looking many would confuse us as brothers. We shared many identical features, from our silvery-white hair to our golden brown skin tone, even our personalities are similar to each other. Our relationship was a close one, whenever I was feeling down I could count on my Pere to cheer me up, same with him.

Don't get me wrong, I love my mere and frere dearly, but my relationship with my father was a bond no one or thing could ever break. My mere and free had the same relationship, their looks and standard are the same. Yet their personalities are complete opposites. My mare was a kind yet strict woman, a bit of a workaholic as well. Like most in our family, she had a passion for cooking, pere would often joke that if she could she would have married her work instead of him.

"My little star, it's time to depart," Pere whispered, his voice barely audible as he pets my head. Huffing, I turned around so my back was facing him. Usually, he was much like myself when we were separated, upset and depressed until we were reunited. Which was why I was surprised when pere suddenly agreed with pere to send me to Tokyo while the two of them remain in France.

"I do not want to go, please don't make me go.I'll be bored to death, I already know. I bet they'll teach us simple stuff like making a grilled cheese. It's pointless." I spoke up, turning so I was laying on my back.

Pere let out a laugh before leaning forward to stroke my head, "Non, non, I can assure you that you will never be board there." Rolling my eyes, I looked over at my pere's face. His golden eyes held amusement and slight nostalgia as he spoke, "I'm sure every day there will be full of excitement. It was for me."

Sitting up, I leaned against the headrest of my bed, "Yeah, but you find everything entertaining. Like remember that time when we went to Pop's BBQ and pop accidentally slipped-"

"In my defense, I laugh when anyone falls even myself. As long as they do not show any signs of being seriously injured I will laugh."Raising my hands in mock surrender, I laugh softly as pere let out a loud, dramatic snort.

I felt happy for a slight second, but alas the loud voice of mere had to ruin the moment. "Mika, Sai! Hurry up, we have to go now or else Mikala will be forced to catch the 4 am plane to Tokyo." SIghing, pere turned so he was looking into my eyes once more.