Onze

"I keep a record of the wreckage in my life. I gotta recognize the weapon in my mind."

-Nightmare; Halsey

Mika POV

"Want some rice crackers?"

"I don't eat those."

"What about some candy?"

"No, thank you."

"How about you Mika-"

"He doesn't want any either."

Leaning back in my seat, I tried my absolute best to disappear from the awkwardness that was filling this car.

As the tension rose, I couldn't help but curse my own clumsiness. After running into the door I passed out for about ten minutes and when I came to all the busses were gone.

Luckily, Erina was there and told me she'll give me a ride. It was all cool until we bumped into Soma who was also left behind. That would have been okay, and I didn't really mind riding with the two of them but...

"Ohh, I think Mikala would love this flavor though. See, its watermelon his favorite."

WHY DID THEY HAVE TO BE SO AWKWARD?

The first few minutes was nice, everyone was just quiet but I guess the silence grew too much and rather than a comfortable silence it became awkward. So Soma being the person he is, tried to ease the growing tension. Obviously that didn't work, it only made things worse by increasing the tension times ten.

"Whatever, if Mika wants the candy he can have it." Erina huffed out, facing towards the window, her arms crossed in irritation.

Speaking of windows...WHY DID I HAVE TO GET THE MIDDLE SEAT?

I tried to sit in the back by the window but the two of them decided to use me as a meat shield, which they covered up by using the excuse that I was the smallest one so it's only fair.

"Here you go Mika, you better hurry and eat it though, it's hot so the candy might melt in the wrapper," Soma said, his usual careless smile on his face as he unwrapped the lollipop and handed it to me.

Sighing, I grabbed the white stick and placed the watermelon flavored treat into my mouth after thanking the red-haired boy.

Once more it was quiet, but not for long as Soma spoke up, "Come to think of it, you said you couldn't wait to see me fail one of these days. Well, I made it, whaddya think 'bout that?" I shrunk back farther into my seat as Soma turned to flash Erina a smug face, and although she wasn't looking, I'm sure she felt and heard his smugness.

I was proven correct when she stiffened up beside me, "Hmp, Go ahead, keep floundering on the razor's edge. I'm sure you won't be picked to be a member of the Selection."

Selection? Her wording confused me, I hadn't heard anything about the selection. And from the looked of it Soma was just as confused as I was.

Erina shook her head when she saw Soma's visually confused face, "You don't even know about that? It's Tohtsuki's legendary fall selection. It's a festival where the chosen few 1st-years show their skills in a battle of cuisine. It's the first opportunity for students to display their abilities off campus, in front of the academy's directors and investors all gathered in the same place. The screening process has already begun."