Nineteen: Doe Eyes

A/N: This is an AU I was kinda excited to write
Divorced!Dan Pan!Phil
I just realized that that's alliteration
This is over 3k words dang
I don't think there are any triggers but if there are any tell me and I'll put a warning.

"Look Philly! It's a deer!!!" Lola calls from the backseat. I look to my left to see one of the most beautiful does ever, a milky coffee brown with white spots. I stare in awe as we pass by it. I grin at Lola through the rear view mirror.

"It's pretty isn't it Lo?" She nods very enthusiastically. I love that child. She has the most positive outlook on life and one of the brightest personality I've ever seen. She lights up every room she walks into.

But Lola isn't mine.

She's the daughter of my best friend Dan Howell. His ex-wife, Cat (yes i did that i'm only kinda sorry) cheated on him with some random guy. Poor Dan came home one day and caught her making out with him on their couch. They immediately got divorced. Thank goodness Lola was staying at her grandparents house. That night, Dan came to my house and cried into my lap for 3 hours. As adorable as he looked, I couldn't enjoy it because seeing Dan upset made me upset. They've only been split for about a month but Dan definitely seems drastically happier now.

Oh, I should probably mention, I have always had a bit of a crush on Dan. Dan knows I'm pan, and he accepts me even though my own family didn't. He just doesn't know I like him.

Back to present day, I'm helping Dan out by driving Lola home from daycare so he doesn't have to be home so early. He's working as a lawyer and I have the day off since it's Saturday. Lola continues to look for animals outside. Her eyes light up with wonder every time something moves.

We finally arrive at the house and Lola runs to great Dan as he opens the door.

"DADDY!!!!!!!" Lola screeched as she ran up the front steps and jumped into Dan's arms. "We saw a deer!" she exclaimed.

"Oh really?" Dan asks turning towards me with the most adorable grin plastered on his face.

"Yeah! It was a doe actually. A really pretty tan color with white spots." Goddamnit. I started rambling again. Sometimes I wish I could just be normal. But I know that wouldn't be much fun. After all, normalness leads to sadness.

"Well I wish I could've seen it." Dan said to Lola before turning to me with a warm smile. "You want to come in and hang out Phil?"

"I really should be heading back-"

"Come on! Just one drink?" Dan protested, giving me the world's most adorable pleading eyes. The eyes of the actual doe we saw driving here couldn't compare to Dan's cute eyes right now. I can't help but give in and before I know it, I'm inside Dan's house sitting on the couch with a glass of rosé watching Dora The Explorer. Dan and I are sharing a nice conversation.

"So Phil, how's life as an English teacher?" Dan asks, taking a sip. I shrug.

"S'alright. Some kids make fun of me for being awkward but most are really nice." Dan looks at me sympathetically.

"I'm extremely proud of you for taking that job. Im serious Phil! You're going after what you want." I blush at his praise. Dan usually makes it his mission to make me feel good about myself. He never fails to lift my spirits.

"Dad?" Lola yawns and rubs her eyes adorably. "I sleepy."

"Okay Pumpkin, let's get you to bed." Dan says softly and begins to get up to get Lola to bed but I stop him.

"I can do it if you want." I offer. Dan looks at me skeptically.

"Phil you sure? You don't have to."