Chapter 9

(The fall, and the melting of the cold heart.)

It had been a week since Safire went quiet. She didnt eat, barley drank, and it was beginning to show. She had lost weight, lost color in her eyes and she was weak. Ash had tried to cheer her up, but she was unsuccessful every time. The humans saw the change in Safire's apearence, but took her out of the kennel and put her in the arena anyway.

She just stood there limply. The door across from her was shaking, you could hear the pounding and roaring of her blood thirsty challenger. The doors opened and Safire looked up, seeing the huge beast lunge towards her. Safire looked back down and closed her eyes. She threw her paws but only did a scratch on the beast. It roared in anger and latched its jaws onto Safire's neck. It threw her body every which way and tore at her flesh. The collar around the neck of the beast let out a huge shock and it was signalled back to its dark cage.

Safire was left in the middle of the arena to bleed out. The humans rushed to Safire and picked her up. She was brought to the medical room, The passed her kennel on the way there and Ash saw it. She saw Safire's limp body, she saw the blood and she felt her heart fill with worry. Zipda saw this too and he panicked. "Safire. no. no. no. No!" Ash cried. She clawed at the bars of the cage and tried to get out. "Kid. Here." Zipda signalled Ash to his side. He used his teeth to pry open a section of the cage wires. "go to her." He said. Ash nodded and slipped through the hold in the wire and bolted to the Medical room.

She saw Safire's head hanging off the table. The saw the blood dripping off her nose. Ash's eyes filled with tears and terror as she saw this. She watched everything. As the humans finished stitching up the wounds and wrapping them up, they made their way out of the room to find some more medical supplies. Ash bolted into the room and instantly jumped onto the table.

She looked down at Safire and tears fell. Ash pulled Safire back up onto the table properly and stepped over her. "Please... Safire.. please..." Ash pleaded. She laid over Safire and cried, "dont give up like this." "please.." "you said you'd never leave me" her cries got louder. She nuzzled her face into Safire's neck.

Ash then got up and laid down, facing Safire this time, "please... dont leave me..." Ash's cries quieted down. "You're my best friend..."

Ash then put her ears down to the sides of her head and close her eyes. She carefully placed her nose against Safire's "I love you..." A few tears fell down Ash's face.

Ash gently sobbed and held her friend close. she kept repeating "please..." She felt her heart wrench.

"please... you promised...." she said once again.

"please..."

The humans walked back in and gently picked Safire up. Ash hopped off the table and pawed at the legs of the human holding Safire. They ignored the small cat and kept walking. Ash walked after them and kept meowing louder and louder.

One human picked ash up and pet her gently. They opened the door of the kennel and placed Ash in it with Zipda. Then the cage was locked and Ash watched Safire being carried away.

"Zipda it can't end like this. She cant leave. She promised...." Ash said as she leaned her head into Zipdas shoulder. "I know kid. I know. Its gonna be ok." he replied with a flat tone.

Ash just sobbed and sobbed. she didnt know if she'd see her friend again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Day one: (lonliness.)

Ash had been in the same spot all night. She was still crying, only her cries turned into quiet whimpers. She had cried all she could, she was all out of tears. Zipda woke up and came out of his dog house and saw the small cat curled up and holding her face in her paws.
'I'm too stone cold to worry about it.' He thought.

Day Two: (Blank stare)

Zipda had once again woke up to see Ash in the same spot. She was not crying, She was just staring through the wires of th cage. Right in the same direction of where Safire was taken.

Day Three: (Starvation)

Ash had been sitting in the same spot. Her food bowl was still full, but it was untouched. She kept staring in that same direction in hopes that her friend will return. Her body was hungry, if you payed enough attention, you could hear her stomach lightly growling.

(A few days skipped.)

Day nine (Self harm...)

Zipda had once again woke up to Ash silently sobbing. He walked out of his dog house and saw Ash pressing her head against the wires of the cage and he Noticed her legs were covered in cuts. Her claws were all bloody and her body was shaking.

zipda looked up to the roof and sighed.

"Safire you need to come back. This kid needs you. Please. I believe in you."