Daniel / Donah - Hidden Injury

dedicated to Imcorbynherronwdw thanks for requesting x

{unedited}

There was a park down the road from the why don't we house that Daniel adored; maybe it was the peacefulness of it, or maybe it was simply because it was beautiful, but Daniel always found himself slipping out of the house, searching any sort of excuse to visit the park alone.

Today was no different; he tied up his white vans, pulling on a warm jacket and a beanie to hide his face a little more. He looked around; the house was still silent, since most people were still asleep, so he managed to slip out of the house without being seen by any of his band mates. It was fairly cold outside, it had been an unusually cold February this year, but Daniel almost liked the weather. The coldness meant it was pretty quiet out, most people opting to stay indoors. Daniel clearly wasn't like most people. He grinned as the park approached him, speeding up slightly to enter it. He looked around, seeing a few people here and there walking their dogs and riding their bicycles. It was lonely: just how Daniel liked it. He walked calmly, almost strolling, along the pathway, looking at the huge lake in the middle of the park and occasionally greeting people as they passed. Daniel liked that most people here wouldn't recognise him; to them, he's just the young boy who visits the park in the morning, not a member of the constantly growing boyband, Why Don't We. He could almost change his identity for a few hours.

He sighed as he found his favourite tree, on the side of this tallish hill that overlooked the lake. He plonked himself down on one side, sighing happily, before pulling out his songbook and a pencil.

He just spent the next hour jotting down ideas for new songs, feeling more inspired than ever as he overlooked the calm water. Nobody bothered him, no one was really around, so it just left Daniel to his thoughts. He thought about everything; how lucky he was to live his life, how appreciative he was of his band mates and family, how happy he was at the moment. He never checked his phone when he went to the park, because he felt like he needed to disconnect sometimes. The world felt so technological nowadays and he wanted to forget about the millions of people around the world who were invested in his life; as much as he appreciated them, he enjoyed having some privacy from time to time.

Finally, after about an hour and a half, he decided that it was probably time to head home. The others would probably be awake and wondering where he was by now. He stretched as he stood up, slipping his notebook carefully back into his bag and zipping it up after, for safety measures. He started carefully making his way back down the hill, watching where he put his feet, when he suddenly heard a very high pitched scream and some barks. He looked up suddenly, but not soon enough to avoid the huge dog that came hounding towards him. He let out a shriek as he tumbled backwards, feeling pain in lots of places of his body as he rolled down the hill carelessly, groaning when he finally laid still. He carefully sat up, his foot aching agonisingly as he tried putting weight on it, letting out a cry. Suddenly, he heard someone run up to him, and he looked up suddenly.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry! He-He got off the leash, I don't know where he is! I-I'm so sorry, are you hurt?" She looked panicked, and Daniel felt bad. She was young and fairly small, much smaller than someone who was capable to handle such a huge dog. Daniel decided to not mention the pain in his foot to her. She tried to help him stand up, Daniels figure towering over her.

"I'm fine, don't worry," Daniel tried to smile, but it came out as more of a grimace as he tried to not put weight on his foot, "and I think your dog ran that way." He pointed behind him, her gaze following his finger for a moment.

"Okay, thank you so much, and again, I'm sorry." She rushed, before running off in that direction. As soon as she left, Daniel let out a loud groan, hunching over slightly and pulling his foot completely off the ground. This was not good.