Chapter 20

"Make-up team! I need the make-up team over here now! Hair stylists over in ten minutes then we go through audio checks." Minji, my assistant, shouted to the crew who were frantically running around backstage to secure everything before the nights intense event.

My debut concert was today, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't a nervous heap of emotions. Many things were going on in my mind as I tried to keep up with the quick moving crowd around me as the busily prepared everything.

My dancing skills have bettered since Jimin and Hoseok have been helping me achieve what I needed to. They had a way of making the choreo a lot more easier to perform even though it is the same choreo that I found too difficult to do. I had a bit more confidence in myself thanks to them.

As I sat through the harmful process of make-up and hair styling I stared at my reflection in the mirror as I watched myself slowly change into someone else.

'This is it,' I thought to myself, 'this is Rookie's look.'

The winged eyeliner that had been placed upon my eye was decorated with black sequences which had small lines of red underneath it to make it look as if they were pierced into my skin. I watched as the hair stylists created two braids at the top of my head before pulling my hair up into a high pony tail and wrapping the finished braids ends around the pony tail to hide the band that held it up.

As I stood up I fixed my self-titled jacket that had a black crop underneath it along with my dark blue jeans plus a pair of sneakers. The sneakers, in my opinion, looked like the most expensive part of my outfit.

As I was made to go backstage, I walked with the stage crew as they applied my mic to my ears, putting the small box in my backpocket before getting me to test it. As we completed the things needed, I stopped to listen to the voices that were coming from beyond the curtain.

I took a step up and peered out of the curtains that covered the side of the stage. I was shocked to see so many people flooding the arena. The mosh pit was full already, the seats above them which were propped against the walls were too starting to fill. I read the signs that some held up.

'You saved me!'

'Rookie! ❤️'

'Let me fight along with you!'

I saw the people in the audience crying ever so slightly as they became extatic over the long wait for the show to begin. And so was I.

I turned to the stagehand and patted his shoulder, "get me out there now." I told him as he went over the sound board. He nodded before quickly flipping one last switch and sending the lights into a red and yellow phases as they began to surf over the crowds.

The screams became so prominent that even my ear pieces couldn't block out the noise, they began to clap in unison with one another as they shouted "Rook-ie! Rook-ie!"

I slowly shook my hands as I walked up into the stage and ran to my marking point with my headset pressed to my lips. Upon entering, the whole room was screaming in hysterics as they awaited me to speak. To say anything at all.

I took in a breath as I walked forward from my marking point and looked down toward the mosh pit to the front row where there were people attempting to reach out for me to touch them. The security guards were quick to put them back behind the barriers if they got too close to the stage.

I raised my head up before turning and looking at myself in the projector with a grin. I pointed and turned back to the crowd. "Ah! I never thought my face could look this great!"

They cheered and whistled, in my ear I heard the crew tell me it was ten seconds before my first song.

"Thank you for coming, I'm Rookie," I took a step back and gently held onto the microphone to press it back toward my lips, "and welcome to the madness."

As I finished speaking, the lights blacked out and back up dancers flooded the stage as the lights flashed and the music began. I took in a breath as I took my step forward and began to rap along to the opening song, Mother.

Many of the fans were already in tears as they remembered what day it was, even without me saying what it was. They knew it was my mothers birthday today, and they already knew of her passing. Strangely enough, I wasn't angry about it.

I was in deep with the song, rapping as if I was only performing to one person. In my mind that was the truth. I was performing for one person. My mother.

I always wanted to have my first performance dedicated to her and now I did exactly that. Even if she wasn't here physically, I knew she was still with me. I knew that she was cheering me on while smiling down at me with her bright shining halo. The halo of an angel.

"I make sure to be the daughter she wanted
Even though she would never be dissapointed,"

One light shone down on me as I performed the last verse in Mother and the whole arena fell silent.

"My mother is a friend that I'll keep
Because without her all I'd do is weep"

As the light faded, the crowd burst into cries and applause as they became moved with my first song. As I jogged off stage for a very quick make-up patch Yoongi ran over and approached me with a wide grin.

"You were made to be on that stage." He said to me as he gently rubbed the back of my neck to loosen my muscles. I smiled to him as my eyes were lined with the slight glint of tears.

"Do you think I made her proud?" I asked him as my voice cracked ever so slightly as I attempted to hold back my emotions. 

Yoongi smiled to me silently before opening his mouth and spoke the words that I longed to hear.

"She was always proud, from the very beginning."