Chapter 4

Making scribbles in my Kung Fu Panda sketchbook, my thoughts drift back to what had happened with the almighty prince. Jerk.

As if my day was not bad enough, the universe decides to make me meet the man who could have me killed with just a word. Ack!

He asked if I'd heard his conversation with his girlfriend.

"I swear I did not hear a word," I protest.

"I don't want you to tell anyone what you heard. Here." In his hand is an envelope. Peeking into it I see a huge sum of money. I hand it back to him.

"I'm sorry but I can't accept this." That's the lowest you can do to anyone of my status. It's insulting.

"I would appreciate it if you don't tell anyone about what you heard."

"Tell anyone what?" Acting innocent, I ask.

"Get out."

"What?!" Bewildered by the sudden harshness, I exclaim.

"George!"

Immediately the door opens and a hulk like guy in black pulls me out.

Not pulls, but drags. Shivering in fear, I promise to not say a word.

Too bad he's handsome. I stare hard at the washed canvass. I still have nothing in mind for the talent show.

Something big. Something spectacular. Hmm. I rub my chin thinking hard. How would you impress people who have seen it all? Trust me, competition between artists is tough, but it's more of a silent agreement that bonds us when it comes to expressing ourselves.

Oh well, I still have lots of time to paint. Instead, I sketch a picture of Henry in an armor holding up a sword.

Not bad. He looks so... handsome, so royal.

"Henry again?" I hear Vic say. He stands behind me looking down at my sketch.

"Mind your business."

"This sort of love for this guy is scary." He pops the bubble gum he's chewing.

"Says the guy who stammers each time Brie is here," I retort with a smirk. He practically drools when he sees her and hangs on to her every word.

His cheeks tint red, looking at everywhere but me. "I do not. Mind your own business."

I laugh out loud and wipe a stray tear as I watched him walk out of my room. Brothers.

What kind of friend do I have?

Brie came over claiming to want to peace and quiet. She has twins for older siblings and another twins for younger siblings. The last child is a baby boy. He cries a lot. Brie says he goes all red like a cartoon character.

He kinda does actually and he is really loud and fussy.

Vic grew dumb since she came. He does everything to impress her and Brie, a good ol' flirt praises him every time.

"Don't break my brother's heart," I tell her every time.

"I can't help it if I'm beautiful," she replies every time.

Brie is currently yelling at a man who slapped his wife in public. She threatens to call the police and take the man to jail. It is embarrassing really.

Things like this happen all the time and I know it would lead to nowhere. There was nothing like justice for people like me or poor women who speak up.

I hurry to her side and pull her in the house with me.

"Brie, that's enough."

"Why would he...?" She breaths heavily, huffing and puffing.

"Calm down."

"I am a feminist, Anna. If I see something like that, I should speak up. We ain't in the dark ages anymore."

Do I believe in the power of Brie? Yes.

Do I believe in the power of females? Yes.

Do I believe in the power of feminism? Sometimes, yes and at other times, no.

I can't let Brie know this. She would descend into another torrent of lecture and argument and I don't need that now.

"If dad makes your favorite, will you calm down?"

She shuts up immediately with excitement of a five years old. "Absolutely."

Psst. Tap that star.