Chapter 13

I am led to a pavilion where the queen is seated at a table, waiting. She looks so much better in real life. She also has the cold stare in real life.

My heart pound hard against my chest. What am I to do? I clumsily lift the skirt my dress and courtesy like I watched women do in historical movies.

Her face is expressionless even as she waves for me to sit. She watch my every move. It is unnerving and makes me feel incapable of anything and way beneath her. Trust me, I do not like the feeling. Not one bit. Guess the Prince gets his snob attitude from her.

The maids pour us tea.

"Anna Bill. Why are you here?" She asks with a voice oozing confidence and disdain.

My eyes narrow in confusion. What sort of question is this?  They brought me here because of some stupid deal made 18 years ago.

"I, um, am here because of the deal between the previous monarch and my grandfather."

"Why are you here?" She asks again

I stare at her perplexed. What would she have me say?

"I am here... I am here because I had to do something to protect my family. I couldn't let my dad go to jail. I couldn't let my family suffer. There was a solution and I took it."

"The royal family is not a charity home nor is it a place for prancing." She remarks, her pitch increasing with every word. "It is a political establishment created for the smooth running of the country so if you think it is a place for pity party you have a chance of going back home.''

My lips parted slightly in shock. I knew getting married into a royal family was a big deal but for nothing of kindness and cold shoulders...

I couldn't think of what to say. I stay glued to my seat unaware of my own laboured breathing.

"Well, what is your decision?"

"If I stay will the bills we owed get settled?" I inquire before I realised what I had said. Oh shit. Me and my mouth again.

The queen looks at me disgusted. A first expression from her.

Think what she might, it's all for the family.

"If so, yes. Yes, I will stay and marry the Crown Prince"

She waves for me to leave. I obey wholeheartedly. That woman leaves a chilly feeling on me. I hope I don't get to meet her personally ever again.

Hey. Could you please tap the star? Thank you.