Chapter 23

He pressed his lips against mine, warm and soft. His hands were wrapped around my waist and mine locked around his neck pulling him down slightly.

We were gathered in the meeting room with the elders. King Richard went on about the development of outerparts of Lilaria which had not been going on well for some years due to an unknown reason.

"Henry, you would accompany me to the opening of the new museum."

"As you wish, Your Majesty."

I noticed Nolan tense immediately while the queen frowned. Why should they be uncomfortable with such a decision?

"Your Majesty," Nolan voiced out, "I would like to make a request."

Silence ensued as everyone turned to look at him.

"What is your request?"

"I request that the Crown Princess be given some time to visit her parents."

Blink blink. My jaw about fell to the floor.

"Yes. Yes, and you should go along with her." Grandma Penelope stated.

Ehn?

Nolan was stunned as well. He must have planned to get me out of here but not along with him.

"Grandma, I don't think that is necessary." He argued.

"Oh please, it will give us a new outlook. Show the people that we are not all 'that wealthy and too sophisticated' to live like the common man." She sipped her tea. I could tell she was fighting an amused smile.

I looked to Queen Gabrielle who clenched and unclenched her fists. She was clearly not okay with the turns of situation. Nolan blessed me with a discreet glare. I inhaled sharply.

I didn't tell him to bring up such an idea. I- What the hell did I do this time? Or maybe- does he know? Does he know what happened earlier this morning? I glanced at Henry who winked at me. Of course. It's Nolan, it couldn't possibly go unnoticed. Henry and I romantic escapade.

I felt a blush creep up my cheeks. I fiddled with the skirt of my dress.

"As you wish, Great Dowager." The Queen said.

"With disregard for all this discussion, happy birthday Crown Princess," the Dowager said.

I can't believe she remembered. A grin spread through my face.
"I'm honoured you remember, Your Majesty."

"Of course I will, you've become my favourite ever since Nolan refused to sing to me."

I fought the urge to laugh out loud. Grandmama Penelope had asked Nolan to sing to her this old rhyme he loved when he was little but he refused. Ever since then, she gave him the cold shoulder.

A ghost of a smile took its place on Nolan's lips.

"So I hope you invited all your friends to the party later today?"

Well, only Vicki could come. The rest of the invitation fell into the hands of Nolan's friends and of course the one and only Aubrey.

She's so not going to ruin my day.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Good, good."

All around the table, everyone gave their wishes. Genevieve made a show of kissing my cheeks. I fought hard against the urge to wipe the lipstick stain off my cheeks.

"Happy birthday, Princess." Vicki yelled as she got down from the car. I hugged her tight squealing and jumping along with her. I think we made a lot of noise. She wore her usual body hugging attire, only it's red this time.