Chapter 12

Before the day ends, our house is swarming with reporters. Mom mopes around deep in thought. Dad shut himself in his room. Vic keeps on changing the tv channels while I go around thinking of what to take along to my new life.

At midnight, Dad comes in my room. He climbs into bed, hugging me to himself.

"Oh Anna, my child. What would I do without you? You could have said no."

"I love you too much to do that, you know."

He place his lips on my forehead. The door screech open. We raised our heads to find mom and Vic.

"Sleepover!" Vic announce.

"This bed won't fit all of us," I say.

"Oh, it will tonight."

We joked, brought up past memories, laughed and ate. I love my family and I will do anything for them.

Tomorrow came early enough. I moan in dismay at my appearance. I grip the tiny mirror in my hand and wonder how I would fix this mess. My hair is disheveled. Ugh! 

Royal maids charged in with things I know my mother has never in a million years bought me.

After an hour of bathing, I am dressed  like a Barbie doll. The pink gown fell in waves from the waist down. The corset is wound tight on my chest, I almost turn blue. How the women of the 17th century survived this is beyond me. I swear the female royals are trying. The maids keep brushing my curly hair even when my scalp cried in protest. They dressed on me the most expensive jewels and shoes. The matching pink shoes are tight and high.

My things are taken away in a single luggage by a bodyguard. I look at my room one last time and sigh. It's all for the family.

"You look like a princess." Dad acknowledges when I step out of the room. I twirl, giving him a wide smile.

"She is going to be one," Vic comments sourly.

"Take care of yourself." Mom says patting my cheek.

"You too. Take care of yourselves." I choke my words fighting back hot tears.

"Don't cry. You are going to ruin the make up." Mom sobs, holding my head up.

"Okay."

"If you need someone to talk to, you know what to do," Dad adds.

"Thanks Dad." We hug.

They follow me out the house where a huge crowd is waiting. Camera flashes went off everywhere.

I look back at my home. I might never see it again.

"I love you."

Dad kiss my forehead. "Go."

The limousine door is opened for me and I get in. I look at my family and waved.

I bite my fingernail watching the maids seated in the limo with me. My thoughts ran a mile per meter. What was I thinking? I can't do this. I want to go home. I don't want to be a princess. I'm so stupid. I start to think of what to tell the queen. I don't want to do this anymore. Why can't I be selfish for once? My phone buzzes with calls from Vickie.

Oh Vickie. Oh no.

It's too late anyway. The royal gates open and a gasp escape my lips. It looks better than the pictures in my History textbook. I look at the giant bronze castle that spread into the horizon. The sun shone its rays giving it an ethereal look. It looks like I stepped into eons of centuries older than me with a hint of modern. Seriously, they should have brought me in a carriage instead of a limo.

I look on in awe of everything and wipe at the drool that ran down my mouth.

It's a fairytale. My heart leapt at the sight of running horses in the never-ending green valley. How on earth...? How many acres of land is this?

The limo swerves right past the castle. It continues to drive on, deeper into the palace grounds. There were buildings few meters away from the other in different designs. From Victorian to bungalow to contemporary houses. The vehicle screeches to a stop in front of a Victorian like building.

Once I take picture of this place and post it on IG, the girls are going to be so jealous. Oh my God, the girls! I haven't called them to tell-

"This is the preparation home for princesses to be," My Chief Maid and instructor, who goes by the name of Mara, interrupted my train of thoughts. She leads me into the house and opens a door, "Ma'am, this is your room."

"Please don't call me-" My jaw drops as I step in. This is five times the size of my room back home. There is a huge chandelier hanging from the ceiling casting the room in a warm glow, a queen sized bed with drapes, and a vanity table with different accessories. The furnishings are soft yet firm, a small couch is sitted next to the grand piano. The royal blue curtains drapes the window. The bathroom was so huge. It is like a room on its own.

Mara leads me to a walk-in closet. She opens it and leaves me shell shocked beyond words. It is a clothing store in here. There are gowns, dresses, shoes and jewelries.

"I can't. This can't be all mine," I breathe out.

A uniformed maid comes in whispering to my instructor. She nods slightly. They both bow to me to which I nervously return the gesture and exit the room.

I walk over to the balcony overlooking the valley. I could paint this. I sigh. If only...

Nothing is going to be easy. Is it? I have to have hope everything is going to okay, right?

That's it girl. Look out for silver lining. Where would I be if I didn't believe in silver linings?

I kick my shoes away and bounce on the bed. With each landing, I am thrown in the air. I love this bed. I giggle and squeal, rolling off the bed with a huff. My maids rush to me with worried looks.

"I'm fine," I say, waving them off. They seem amused and confused. They must not meet much people.

Mara comes in and bows.

"The queen would like to see you."

My breath caught. Time to meet the big guns. The big guns that would probably do away with you if she discovers you were jumping on your bed. The big gun that will-

Cut it out, Anna.

I wear my shoes and follow her out to meet the Queen.

Who is excited to meet the big guns? Please vote before leaving for the next chapter