Chapter 22

Maybe he is not so bad.

I glanced at Nolan's suite across mine as I recollect last night.

We danced​ at the center of the hall with many eyes on us. Feeling uncomfortable,  I had started​ talking, well blabbing actually, to Nolan.

"... I just miss my mummy and daddy and my annoying brother. I mean you see yours every time. I need a little change. You are not always around. I hang with Henry all the time and your mother is so uptight. Grandmama Penelope is so nice." I sighed​ wondering why he hasn't shut me up yet. Meh. So I kept on talking. And talking. And talking.

The music stopped and everyone clapped.

Well thank God, I thought. I'm tired of being the center of attention.

The orchestra started another song again. Nolan had held out his hand again. Ugh not again. I took it and place my other hand on his shoulder.

I tolf myself to keep smiling. People began to join in the dance. After many excruciating minutes, Nolan took me away. Grateful I thanked him.

"Damn my feet hurt." I grip the railing of the balcony and took off my shoes. I held them happy to feel my own feet again.

"What's with you? Someone tape your mouth?" I asked.

He looked at me taking me in."You look terrible in that dress."

My jaw dropped, cheeks flushing.

Then he did the most forbidding. Laughing. He was actually laughing out loud.

"You, you slimy irritating bastard."

He grinned widely, "really?"

I nod furious. How dare he?

"Have you forgot what today means? What it represents?"

Ehn? What is he talking about?

"Today is the day of the water lilies"

Explains a lot by the national Lily symbol everywhere... but, "So?"

He groaned and roll his eyes "Today is the one day in the year when you can lie without being punished"

"Oh but I thought that was 10th of July"

"Ugh whatever." he raised his hands in frustration.

"So I'm terrible in the dress huh?" I grin

"Just a compliment. No biggie."

"I'm going to hold on to that."

"Your business."

People downstairs started to count down.

"Ten, Nine... " we join in "seven, six, five, four, three, two, one!" The fireworks went off.

"What are you looking at?" I hear him whisper in my ear. I jumped in surprise turning around to take a look at him.

"You really should stop doing that." I see his amused smile. I take in his loosened tie and I-don't-know-how-he-does-it-but-always-neat-white-shirt.

"It's fun for me."

"What have you been up to?" I follow him to his suite. "I'm bored"

"Working. Go look for Henry to play with." He went straight into his study.

I follow him in, "He went out for a bit." I glanced at his bookshelf. I really wouldn't mind if he had a comic or two.

"Wow, that's a first. I thought he is like omnipresent."