Chapter 10

I sit in bed thinking about what I'd discovered the other night. What am I going to do? Who do I tell? I hold myself in my arms sobbing quietly. My world has been turned upside down since I met the Prince. Why me?

Pots banging against each other and the smell of tea brings morning. Doors slam open and close, and the familiar hum of the washing machine fills the house.

I don't know how I would face my parents without questioning them. I lay in bed sighing heavily. I don't want to get up. I might as well skip school today.

"Anna, get up. You're going to be late." Mom- I mean my aunt shouted.

I lay in bed and rolled to the side with a groan. I'm staying right here. No school for me today.

Shouts from outside get me off the bed. I run out to find out what was wrong. Armed muscled men are fighting with my dad and Vic. Mom tells profanities, hitting some guys with her frying pan. Arms wrap themselves around my chest lifting me off the ground. I yelp in fear.

"Let go of me!" I struggled from his grasp. How on earth did he work this pound of muscle?

Mom hit his head with the pan. Unexpectedly, he drops me on my butt. I hurriedly get to my feet and knee his groin pulling his hair.

"What is going on here?" A clear deep voice calls out.

Everyone freeze. On seeing a police, the gang runs away. A man in black held a suitcase, a slight crease on his forehead.

"Who are you?" Dad asks.

"Trustee bank."

My parents turn pale.

So here we are sitting in our makeshift living room as a result of the gang's partying with us.

"I am Mr B. Bean from Trustee bank."

What were his parents thinking when they gave birth to him? He did look abnormally slim. I eye his squared shoulders and his receding hair.

From the bank? Wonderful. What was the matter this time?

"I am here to remind you of the deadline of the loan you have refused to pay despite the institution's grace. If you are not able to pay in a day, your house and land will be confiscated. Also, you will be imporisoned."

At that, I could not hear my heart beat. Mom falls to the ground, wide eyed and mouth agape.

"How much do we owe you?" My brother asks. I swallow the lump in my throat waiting for the man's reply.

The amount makes my ears ring. I look up at Vic. He stares back, glazed eyes.

That look terrifies me. I knew what it means and that terrified me. I am my family's only hope, from the ghetto guys and from the jaws of the law. I have to give in to the promise made eighteen years ago.

"Don't worry. We would find a way to pay you before the hours are up." Dad sighs, rubbing his tired eyes.

Mr Bean gets to his feet and straightens his blazer. He runs his hand over his clothes as though dusting our poverty stench away. I scoff in disgust. Doesn't he realize he is rather poor upstairs?

He leaves with police in tow. While my father remains seated with brows furrowed, Mum and I take it upon ourselves to clean the disorganized house.

I have a secret to share with you

I have a secret to share with you. Did you know if you tap that star, it will magically turn orange?

Serious! Try it. Please and thank you.