Chapter 40

Aubrey died.

Mara and Genevieve were sentenced to life imprisonment for the attempted murder of the Royals and the murder of Aubrey Lancaster. 

The next two days were spent with me sitting on the steps of Grandma Penelope's home.

After Genevieve and Mara were arrested, Nolan had been moved to Grandma Penelope's home and Henry to the nearest hospital. Grandma Penelope moved all of Nolan's belongings and regarded me with a cold shoulder.

Hours passed and the Queen Dowager, maids, guards, doctor and nurses ignored me each time I asked how Nolan was faring. From time to time, I would pace around the front door and wipe at stray tears.

The morning of the third day found me weak and thirsty.

“Your Highness, you must eat.” My newly assigned head maid pleaded.

“I can't eat. Not until I know if he is okay.” My voice was faint, barely above a whisper.

She placed a water bottle in my hand and urged me to drink. Shaking my head, I pushed​ it away.

Heels clicked as the Queen climbed up the stairs and walked into the building, ignoring me. I lowered my head, guilt, and pain eating at me.

Some minutes later, she stepped out. I was expecting her to ignore me as before but, to my surprise, she stopped in front of me.

“Get up and come with me.”

Quiet, I got up from my knees and followed her. Woozy, I tried hard not to faint and place a foot in front of the other. Queen Gabrielle brought me back home. The house felt different without Nolan in it. She sat me on the couch beside her and watched as the maids brought porridge and warm water.

She took a spoonful of porridge and brought it to my mouth, “Eat.”

Slowly, I opened my mouth and chewed. She continued to feed it to me until the bowl was empty. I sipped the water while ignoring the ache in my stomach.

“Thank you, Your Majesty but-” I start to say.

“Don't go back there. Don't beg anymore. Don't cry or starve yourself anymore.”

“Nolan-”

“He is awake and does not want to see you.” She placed her hands on mine and looked into my eyes. “I am sorry for all the pain you had to endure, for using you. You must stop begging to see him, stop begging for him to forgive you because you did nothing wrong.”

“You have owned up to your mistakes,” she continued. “If he doesn't forgive you, it's his loss and my fault. I am a terrible mother and failed in my duties. You might have made him love you but I didn't teach him how to hold on to that love and forgive.”

“I'm sorry. It was partly my fault too.” I hugged my arms around me.

“We really do have mistakes we need to correct.” she sighed heavily.

“What do I do now?”

“Yes. What would we do now?” She had a smile on her face. “For so long, we all had an agenda in mind and now we seem at loss for what to do.” She crossed her legs and slouched on the couch.

I almost laughed. The role seemed reversed now. Usually, I would be the one slouching and the Queen gazing at me disapproving.

“I saw the divorce papers, Anna. What were you two thinking?”

Ashamed, I sighed and fiddled with my jeans.

“I will keep it with me in the meantime. Whatever the two of you decide, I will support it.”