Chapter 19

Jon's point of view

I was so glad that the nurse let Richie sleep next to me. He was all I got, he was all I wanted and he was all I needed. We drifted off to sleep and I held Richie's hand, like I would die if I let go. And maybe I'd do.

Suddenly I woke up from a nightmare, covered in sweat, just like the night on tour. I wanted to scream or anything like that to get Richie awake, but I was too weak. With my last strength I rolled over to see him. I reached out and touched his soft hair for one last time, before everything went black.

Richie's point of view

When I woke up, the first thing I did was looking over to my blue eyed sweetheart to see if he was okay. My eyes widened at his sight and I couldn't move. His skin was so pale that he looked like a vampire and his lips were dark blue. "Jonny!", I whined and shook his body. No signs of life. Nothing. "No...", I whispered and started to sob while I was clinging on his chest. Then I remembered the phone number the nurse gave me. I quickly got out of the bed and dialed the number on my phone. "Nancy?", she whispered sleepily. "It's Richie. Jon's skin is as pale as the skin of a vampire and his lips are dark blue", I sobbed. "Oh fuck, I'm on my way", she said, now awake, and hung up the phone. I returned to the place on Jon's bed and held his cold hand while crying. I had given so much for a light squeeze like yesterday, but there was nothing. Nothing that told me that he was alive. Suddenly the door flew open and Nancy stormed in. "No, no, no...", she mumbled to herself as she saw my babe and wrapped her hand around his wrist. "Bad news Richie. His pulse is way too low and it's possible that it'll be gone completely if we wait any longer", she said and my heart dropped. He could die. The kiss we shared last night could be the last one. "C-can you save him from death?", I asked her, still staring at Jon and crying. "I can't promise you anything, but we'll do what we can to keep him alive. Now I'm gonna bring him to the emergency room and the doctors do what they can for your boyfriend there", she told me and released the brakes from Jonny's bed. "Can I be by his side?", I begged desperately, but she shook her head. "You can wait in the corridor, but you cannot join him in the room." "I'll do that then. I'll kill that driver if he ever dares to hurt my angel again", I mumbled to myself and followed the nurse who was pushing Jon's bed forward. "Can I please push it? I'm so sorry but I just have to be near him in any way", I asked and she nodded, leaving her spot. I then slowly pushed his bed forward, looking at that beautiful face of his, which still was extremely pale. When we arrived at the room, I took one last look at Jon and placed a light kiss on the back of his hand. I then nodded at Nancy who pushed the bed inside and closed the door behind her. Tears ran down my face and I prayed to god that he'd keep Jon alive. After a few minutes, which felt like hours, Nancy went out to me again. Hope filled my eyes as I looked up at her. "The doctors say, he has a chance of 30% to escape death. You have to go home now and sleep a little, come back tomorrow if you want", she said and I nodded sobbing. As I left the hospital, the cold air hit my face and made me freeze for a moment. I closed my eyes and spoke a prayer for my angel, before I went on going to my car.

The whole ride I stayed silent and stared at the road. All I wanted was Jon by my side again, healthy and happy. But he was gone. Gone in the hospital or maybe also gone from the world. There was no way I could say goodbye to him. No last goodbye. In my apartment I got myself a bottle of Jack and took a few long swigs. The whiskey burned down my throat, but I didn't care. The alcohol was hopefully strong enough to kill my heartache. I finally switched on my radio and switched it off directly after that again, because I don't want to miss a thing by Aerosmith was on. Tears filled my eyes and I tried to hold them back the best I could. In my head there were only the words one last goodbye. I needed one. But I had none. With that thought I took another swig of the whiskey. I squeezed my eyes from the strong burning and tears stung my eyes even more. I finally stood up, grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and sat back down on the couch. I started to write about my pain and my heartache, maybe it was a good song. After an hour or something like that I was done.

One last goodbye

Every song on the radio's about us tonight
Or the words make it hard to forget
As the memories flashed back to me line after line
Of the moments that we won't regret
If there's bad blood between us
Or feelings unsaid
Don't say a word
Just hold me instead

One kiss for the night we met
One for the dreams we shared
One for the laughter and tears
One final rendezvous
One last I love you
One lasting memory
One dance for old times
Boy don't you think you and I
Deserve one last goodbye

There's a painting of you in a beautiful light
That hangs on the wall of my heart
It'll live there forever, time after time
Like a priceless, fine work of art
I don't want to convince you
Don't make me explain
All that I'm feeling
Baby you feel the same

One kiss for the night we met
One for the dreams we shared
One for the laughter and tears
One final rendezvous
One last I love you
One lasting memory
One dance for old times
Boy don't you think you and I
Deserve one last goodbye
One last goodbye

No good guys no bad guys
When dawn comes no sad eyes
We might not get this close again
It'll all be alright if it's just for tonight
What if this isn't the end

(Night we met) for the night we met
(Dreams we shared) for the dreams we shared
For the laughter and tears
(Rendezvous) final rendezvous
(I love you) one last I love you
One lasting memory
One dance for old times
Boy don't you think you and I
Deserve one last goodbye
One last goodbye
One last goodbye

I grabbed my guitar and strummed a few chords til I was satisfied with the sound and sing it a few times. Then I downed another bottle of whiskey again, ignoring the burning in my throat. I finally laid down in my cold bed, staring at the ceiling. I couldn't be alone right now. So I got up and got out of the apartment, dressed in sweatpants and Jon's T-shirt, whiskey in hand. When I arrived at Rosie's door, I knocked lightly and prayed she would open. I just needed a friend right now.

Rosemary's point of view:

I woke up at 3 o'clock in the morning because there was a knock on the door. I groaned and dressed in some T-shirt and pants, walking to the door. When I opened it, I froze in my tracks. A completely destroyed Richie stood in front of my door, dark circles under his eyes and a bottle of Jack in hand. "R-rosie", he slurred, he was obviously drunk. "What's up Richie?", I asked a little confused and looked him in the eyes. "Can't sleep... Jon's at the hospital...", he whispered and then I noticed the tears on his cheeks. "C'mon in, Rich", I said and led him into the living room. He mumbled a little 'thanks' as he stumbled inside and sat himself down on the couch. I went to the kitchen and got the two of us a glass of water. When I got to the living room again, Richie had buried his face in his hands and sobs escaped him. I quickly sat down beside him and pulled him into a hug, letting him cry on my shoulder. "Shsh Rich, it'll be okay", I tried to shush him and he shook his head as a no. "Why?", I asked, obviously confused. "Jon is at the hospital. He was in a car crash. They don't know if he'll make it", he sobbed and I took him into another hug, now almost crying. It hurt to see a friend like that. "You can sleep here on the couch if you want", I offered him and he nodded quickly. "Thank you Rosie", he whispered and snuggled up to my shoulder. "I'll go to bed now", I finally said after a while and tried to stand up, but he wouldn't let me go. "Please stay", he whispered tiredly and clung onto my arm. "Ok", I finally sighed and closed my eyes. He wrapped his arms around me and sobbed himself to sleep. I hugged him a little tighter and placed a kiss on the top of his head, falling asleep to his calm breathing.