Café

Florian walks into the cafe with his "Drago Scowl" and a few people move away. The man behind the counter blinks before moving, whispering to a woman who is handing a middle-aged woman a mug of coffee. She looks over at Florian and nods at the man as she walks to the counter.
"Hello and welcome to Baristas. How can I help you?"
"Hi...Can I have...you have Turkish Coffee?"
"Yes, we do. Is that what you would like?"
"Yes please."
She taps away on the screen.
"Anything else?"
"You have gogosi?"
"Yes. Do you want six or a dozen?"
"A dozen please."
She nods as she types some more.
"Oh, before I forget: what size for your coffee?"
"Large please."
She nods as she taps.
"Your total is $10.75."
He hands her the card and she swipes it, turning the screen for him to sign. He leaves a $2 tip as she boxes the gogosi and hands him the box. He opens it, taking one and eating it, moaning softly. He smiles as she gives a soft smile.
"You're cute when you smile."
Florian looks up and blushes at the statement as she chuckles, making the coffee for him before handing him the cup.
"Have a good day!"
"You, too."
Florian leaves, smiling to himself.
🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩
Florian walks back into Baristas and sees the same woman from yesterday. Today she's in high waist black ripped jeans and a black cropped hoodie that says "La mama naibii". He sees the little devil sitting in the corner at the top of the script writing.
"The devil's mother...that's Romanian."
She smiles at him.
"Hello again and yes it is. My mother gave it to me."
"You're Romanian?"
"No. I was adopted by a Romanian woman and her Army husband when I was 7. When they divorced, I stayed with her. Kimora."
"Florian. I'm Romanian, it's why I asked."
"Explains the frown."
He blushes.
"I'm usual smile a lot. I just...I'm playing this role and the man doesn't smile."
"That's a pity. You're cuter when you smile."
Florian blushes a bright red as she makes him a Turkish coffee and pushes it forward.
"You still want gogosi?"
"Do you have others?"
"I have scovergi, crepes, and covrigi."
"Dozen gogosi."
She laughs as she rings him up.
"$5.50."
"The coffee?"
"On the house."
Florian smiles as she boxes the sweet treat and hands it to him.
"You better be smiling next time you come in here!" Kimora calls to Florian and he smiles as he nods.
"I will."
🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩
Florian enters the shop with Michael and Tessa. Kimora notices Tessa and how she holds Florian's arms. She sighs. Of course, the beautiful man has an equally beautiful girl.
"Hi, Florian."
"Hello, Kimora."
"Usual?"
"For me, yes. Tessa. Michael. What do you want?"
"A cookies n' cream frappe!" Tessa says.
"Medium or large?"
"Medium!"
"And Michael?"
"A large iced coffee. Sweetened with no milk."
Kimora nods.
"You aren't smiling today."
"Sorry. Didn't get enough sleep last night."
He nods, feeling something else is off but doesn't push it.
"$17.45."
Florian hands her card over as she swipes it, handing it back to him as she begins to make the drinks with the other barista. She finishes the drinks and hands them to the barista before walking into the back. Florian blinks in shock but accepts the drinks as he walks back.
"What's wrong?" Tessa asks as Florian sits with them.
"It's...Well, Kimora seemed off."
"The woman with the braids?"
"Yes. She seemed upset. She didn't smile like she always does."
"Maybe she's tired."
"That's what she said but..."
"Kimora!"
"Mama!"
Kimora hugs a woman who has black hair, bright brown eyes, and clearly tanned skin. She is in a skirt suit and looks nothing like Kimora who has brown skin, shoulder-length braids bob, thin round glasses, and is a thick woman. She's wearing high waist jeans today with a cropped hoodie with the NASA logo and white sneakers. They begin speaking rapidly as Kimora smiles, laughing as she makes her mother a drink and turns, flipping her hair. Florian watches as she rolls her eyes.
"Toți oamenii buni sunt luați mama. Sau nu-mi plac femeile negre ca mine."(Romanian: All the good men are taken, mom. Or don't like black women like me.)Kimora hands her mother the box who pats her hand.
"Veți găsi pe cineva. Toți suntem femei Lupul. Ce zici de asta acolo?"(Romanian: You will find someone. All of us Lupul women do. How about that one over there?)Kimora looks over at Florian who looks up as the two women look at him. She quickly looks away.
"Nu Mama. Nu el."
(Romanian: No mom. Not him.)
Her mother frowns but doesn't push it before kissing Kimora's cheek.
"Dinner?"
"Of course. Bye Mama."
The two wave as Kimora returns to making sure there is coffee in the espresso machine and reviews other things. She looks at her phone, smiling as she types before helping a customer who walks in.
"Talk to her," Michael says. "You keep glancing at her."
"She told her mom no."
"They were speaking Romanian?" Tessa says.
"Yes. I..."
"Just ask! The worse thing she'll say is no!" Michael says.
Florian looks over to see Kimora wave to the customer and laughs at something her coworker says. Florian gets up, walking over. She's nudged and her coworkers points. Kimora looks up at Florian.
"Yes?"
Florian's english fails him at that moment as he blurts out the question in Romanian.
"Pot avea numarul tau? Vă rog?"
(Romanian: Can I have your number? Please?)
Kimora stares at him and blinks.
"Don't you..."
"No. I'm single."
She nods and hands her phone out. Florian gives her his phone and she types her number in as she hands him back the phone.
"Text me or whatever."
Florian nods as she walks off to help another customer. He walks back over to the two who smile.
"Text her! Now!"
"She's working!"
"Don't listen to Michael."
Florian nods as they leave. He waves to Kimora who gives a small wave back.
🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩
Kimora's phone dings while she's sitting on the porch with her mother, wine between them. She looks at her phone.
Hey. It's Florian
"Who is it?"
"The guy from the coffee shop."
Her mother, Aurora smiles as she claps.
"What did he say?"
"Hi. It's Florian."
"That's it."
She laughs at the face her mother makes and sips her wine.
"I mean we did just start texting."
"Could've fooled me with the way he kept looking at you."
"What? Mom..."
"he kept staring at you as if you were the best thing in the world. Only woman in the shop."
"Mom I think you are imagining."
"No I am not."
Kimora sighs as she sips her wine, stroking Roma the cat's head. He purrs loudly as he is stroked.
"Well, what are you going to text back?"
"I don't know mom. Hey?"
Aurora rolls her eyes.
"I swear you, young folks..."
Kimora laughs as she texts back "hey" and locks her phone, returning to talking to her mother, grilling her on her new "boy toy".
🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩
"I don't think she's interested," Florian says with a pout.
"Why do you say that?"
"Her answers are dry as you would say."
"Maybe she's busy. She did say she would have dinner with her mom," Tessa said. "It's only 8. She could be still talking with her."
Suddenly, his phone rings and it's Kimora. He answers immediately.
"Mama! No you did not!"
"The man is beautiful. I don't understand why you just don't let your needs take control for once."
"Mama I am not texting him after 10. That is the universal booty call time!"
"Okay but maybe you need a booty call. All that butt and no one is enjoying it."
"Mama...I'm done. I'm leaving. Nope. I'm calling my uber."
"I am being honest!"
"Hello?" Florian says making them stop talking.
"Florian? What--Did you hear that?"
"Yes."
The line is silent.
"I have to go."
She hangs up before Florian can speak. Florian blinks, looking at Michael.
"Did I do something?"
"I think you may want to find a new girl to talk to."
Florian pouts.
🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩
Florian walks into Baristas and sees Kimora sitting in the corner, looking at her phone with a large drink next to her. He sits next to her making her jump as he touches her arm.
"Jesus! Florian!"
"Sorry. I thought you saw me."
"I didn't!"
"Sorry," he says. "You never texted me back."
She blushes.
"Sorry..."
"I was hoping you would. I really wanted to talk to you but you seemed flustered after the phone call."
"I'm sorry about that. I don't know what my mom was thinking when she called you."
"It's fine. My mom is the same."
She gives a small smile as Florian smiles at her.
"I would ask if I could buy you a drink but you already have one. Are you on break?"
"Yes. I just started."
"Can I go for a walk with you? After I get coffee?"
"Sure."
Florian smiles as he goes to the counter and orders. He grabs his drink and they walk out into the warm spring air. She blinks as Florian grabs her hand and she looks at him. He is sipping his coffee as they walk. They make their way to the nearby steps of the art museum and Florian sits, opening his arms.
"Florian..."
"I don't want your pants to get dirty."
She relents and sits in his lap. She giggles as he hugs her waist, resting his head on her shoulder.
"I got scare you didn't want to talk to me anymore," he says softly. "Michael said I should find someone else but I really find you attractive and I didn't want to."
"I can tell. Matthew told me you came in asking for me all last week."
Florian blushes as she shifts in his lap, sitting sideways now as he wraps an arm around her. She looks at her phone as he looks over her shoulder.
"Talk to me. I'm here."
"What do you want to talk about?"
"Anything. I finally have you to myself for a moment."
Kimora looks at Florian before putting her phone away.
"Favourite coffee outside of Turkish."
"I like frappes."
"Me too. Next to iced coffee."
"What's your favourite colour?"
"Does black count?"
"Yes."
"I like black."
"I like blue."
She smiles as she wipes a piece of hair off his cheek.
"Favourite dog?"
"German shepherd."
"I like Pitbulls. You remind me of them. Especially my big boy Hercules."
"I'm not a pitbull."
"Yes you are. You look scary but you're a sweetheart."
"Not a pitbull."
"Yes you are. A big pittie."
Florian pushes her off his lap and she giggles.
"Florian!"
"Not a pittie!"
"Yes you are. A Romanian pittie."
"Don't you have to get back to work?"
Kimora notices the shift and blinks.
"Okay. Alright."