Love You

Florian has no idea what his girlfriend is listening to but he knows one thing: it's making her dance. She's cleaning, airpods in. Her blue running shorts hugging her butt along with the matching top. Her pretty brown skin glows in the sunlight coming from the window.

"Big Ole Freak! Big Booty, Big Ole Tree!"

She sings along, squatting to wipe the bottom of the window, twerking slightly as she looks back. She sees Florian and blushes, immediately stopping as she pauses her music.

"Sorry," she mumbles.

Florian chuckles as he walks over, picking her up as he kisses her.

"Don't apologise. I was enjoying it."

Ashanti flicks his nose making him smile as he brings her close, her legs wrapping around his waist as he holds her.

"Michael is having a party tonight. Do you want to come?"

She bites her bottom lip. She doesn't really like Michael—she thinks the man is the typical successful black man not to mention he says stupid shit that irritates her soul. Ashanti, in usual overachiever mood (blame her Caribbean mother and Nigerian Father Okay?) has a PsyD in psychology, focus on racial issues and just completed her PhD in African-American Studies, . Hearing Michael say shit like "black panther is mythology that African-Americans didn't have" made her scream. Literally.

"Tessa will be there."

"I'll go."

Florian chuckles as he kisses her and puts her down, kissing her again.

"Now go clean the bathroom."

He groans but obeys as she returns to cleaning.

Ashanti and Florian enter the party, holding hands. Ashanti scams the crowd before spotting the bar. She walks over to the bar as Florian goes to greet Michael.

"You came!"

"Yeah."

"Did you bring Ashanti?" Tessa asks, hugging the huge man.

"Yeah. She's by the bar."

They turn to see Ashanti holding a hard cider in one hand and leaning against the bar, talking to Steelo. She is wearing black denim shorts with a collared short sleeve bodysuit and white Fila sneakers. Her hair is cut short and dyed platinum blonde, complimenting her skin tone. She wears gold jewellery—rings, necklace, earrings, and watch.

She looks up and smiles at Florian, waving to Tessa who walks over to her to hug her. They hug and continue to talk, her hand staying on Tessa's waist as they talk.

"That's the dumbest shit I have ever heard."

Everyone looks at Ashanti who has a blank look on her face, eyes on Michael who just made the same upsetting statement again.

"Black people, people of the African diaspora always had black mythology. They are oral stories. Stories passed from storyteller to storyteller. Just because you never read any doesn't mean it doesn't exist."

"And how would you know?" Michael challenges.

"I have a PhD in African-American studies Michael."

"That doesn't mean anything."

Ashanti stares before she stands, grabbing her phone.

"I'm done. I'll see you when you get home Florian."

She walks off as Tessa glares at Michael and moves away. Florian follows after Ashanti who is outside, waiting for her Uber.

"Hey...hey."