twenty nine • you deserve a superhero

REAL LIFE

"Jc, stop!" Flynn screamed, begging for her boyfriend's face to get back to it's pale state, instead of it's current red one. "Jc, baby, stop it." She grabbed his shoulders and sat him down on his couch. "You need to calm down, it's okay."

"You can't leave me, Flynn." He finally sat down and didn't fight back, though his anger was still very visible. "You're all I have left."

"Justin, I'm not saying that we should end it for good, I'm simply saying that our careers are on completely different paths. You're twenty-two and want to travel the world, making YouTube videos with your best friend. I'm seventeen and am a full-time actor and part-time musician." She couldn't fight the tears anymore as she watched his face soften. He had a soft spot for the girl, as he saw a future with her. But maybe she didn't see one with him. "I can't travel with you and Kian all the time. We are not breaking up, baby. But I am going to go home for a little bit. I miss Finn and time away could be good. I'll come back in a week and check up and see if we still wanna make this work."

With those words and a parting hug and cheek kiss, Flynn grabbed her phone and swung her yellow bag over her back, grimly smiling at him one last time before walking out his door.

She immediately texted her groupchat with the IT cast, making sure they understood how sorry she was. She didn't even notice she was still crying until she saw a drop of water land on her phone screen after the conversation ended.

Jaeden asked her to meet him at the Cherokee park, just a five minute walk from both of their houses. This was the place they met in secret the few weeks following their meeting to speak about anime and school without Finn getting protective.

She walked up to their regular bench, seeing the brunette boy sitting with his legs crossed. Through her blurred eyes and the setting sunlight, she saw a certain glow in his eyes when he saw her, but it soon faded when he noticed the tear streaks down her face.

"Jae, I'm so-" She began. Before she could finish, Jaeden shot up off of the bench and threw his thin arms around her.

"Save the apology for when I'm done pretending I'm not pissed at you." Jaeden chuckled slightly in her ear, squeezing her before letting her go. The two began their walk around the walking trail of the empty park.

"Why did you do it? That's what I really wanna know." They both walked with their hands in their pockets, staring forward and not daring to make eye contact. Flynn's hands were in her small, jean pockets while Jaeden's were in his yellow Naruto hoodie; The one he wore when they first met.

"I know we'd gone on one date but I didn't see us as official yet and I just couldn't keep feeling led on. Now I realize that maybe you thought something different of us. I know we were both scared, so I figured we were just friends and, when Jc texted and told me he liked me, I took the chance. I'm sorry about the miscommunication. It just feels so hard to talk to you." Flynn shrugged and took a slight glance at how the cold winter breeze would blow his hair back and make him tense slightly.

"Yeah? You don't think it's hard for me to talk to you?" Jaeden said sarcastically, shaking his head. "Flynn, I know you have a bad past but you have to care for yourself before you can be in a relationship with anyone else."

"And that's why this break was so good. Justin was gone in Australia and nobody else had time for me so I was stuck with myself. I realized that I do deserve what everyone gives me. Maybe even more."

"You deserve a fucking superhero, Lynn." Jaeden smiled to her before looking back in front of them.

"I missed that nickname." She blushed, looking down at her moving feet. The sunset made both of their faces illuminate with pink and orange colors. He stopped, which caused her to stop too, as he smiled at her face and put his hand lightly on her cheek, leaning in slowly.

"Jae," Flynn shook her head and gently grabbed Jaeden's hand, pushing it down. "You're so amazing and I would kiss you a million times at any other point in my life." She kept a hold of his hand, enveloping it in both her hands as she looked at his eyes. "But I had a fight with Justin, I didn't break up with him. I can't do that. I can't hurt another amazing person again. I've done that too much this past year. You have a girlfriend who cares about you that seems sweet. I'm sure she doesn't deserve that hurt either."

"About that." Jaeden looked down at the concrete below his feet and lightly pulled his hand away from her's. "Allison broke up with me. It was mutual and friendly. We both like other people. Luckily for her, he's single ."

Dammit. I was supposed call it off. Fuck emotions and sympathy. "Damn, Jaeden. I'm sorry I can't show you that affection back but I can't hurt anyone else. What sucks is I still feel like I'm hurting you."

"Do you still have feelings for me?" Jaeden looked at at her eyes, full of hope.

"Of course, Jae. You're always gonna own my heart. Always." She kissed his cheek and smiled sympathetically at him before walking away and making her way to the house she hadn't seen in over a month but still called home.

Though maybe home wasn't a place anymore to her; Because when her hand hovered over the door, she thought of running right back to Jaeden Martell. But she knew it was too late when she had black curls in her face and familiar arms squeezing around her body.

"Fuck, I missed you, Sis."

"I missed you too, Bub."