Fortuity

4:30 pm

Hearing a rumor that a new cafe opened downtown, I was currently strolling down the concrete sidewalk while being guided to the location by the intricate map on my phone.

At long last, I showed up at a primed toledo glazed door that had a cutely bedecked sign which had the word "OPEN" beautifully written in calligraphy.

Entering and initiating multiple chimes to reverberate from the tiny bell hanging from the door, I couldn't help but gape at the superb Bohemian style interior design and furnitures.

I was escorted to a window-side table, which allowed me to admire the serene view of countless, monumental towers with the Cerulean blue sky in the background.

After thoroughly skimming through the variety of scrumptious food listed on the menu, I gazed around to look for an available waiter so I could order.

But then, a slim, distinguishable figure who was diligently sprucing up a table caught my eye, and soon I recognized the waiter to be none other than Jungkook's brother, Jimin.

Simultaneously, Jimin's gaze met mine, causing him to gasp a little out of surprise and swiftly make his way to where I was situated

"You're Jungkook's girl!" He identified me, and I immediately clarified once more, "Again, I'm most definitely NOT his girl. Sorry I forgot to introduce myself last time, my name's Mina."

"Well Mina, what're you doing here?" He rested on the sofa across from me, carelessly slacking off from his job.

"Same reason why everyone else is here." I shrugged, reciprocating with the question,"You work here?"

"Yeah, I need to save up to buy a gift." Jimin rubbed the back of his neck shyly, causing me to automatically predict that it was for his girlfriend, guessing from his diffident gesture.

"Oh, for your girlfriend?" I asked, triggering an irrepressible laughter in Jimin which lasted for about ten seconds, then eventually diminished with the reply, "I don't have one Mina."

"That liar." I mumbled under my breath, referring to that con artist, also known as Jeon Jungkook.

"I'm actually saving up for my brother's birthday gift." He smiled with genuine excitement, being that impeccable older brother everyone desires.

"Oh Jungkook's birthday's coming up?" My eyes enlarged, and Jimin answered with a quick nod of his head, "Yeah, September 1st."

"Crap, I need to get him a gift too." I cupped my face, panicking a bit.

He may be my arch nemesis majority of the time, but I should repay him for all the neighborly things he's done for me.

"I end my shift early tomorrow so I was planning to go shopping then. Wanna go together?" Jimin suggested out of thoughtfulness.

Holding my chin in consideration, I raised my brows in agreement, "That's actually not a bad idea."

Leaning on the table and placing his chin in the palm of his hand, Jimin adorably grinned, "Besides, I want to get to know you more."

Jesus, he's too cute.

"Okay, I'll go." I smiled back as I applied my weight on the table with folded arms, Jimin now revealing his white teeth out of exultation and merriment.

"Great. Meet me here around 5 tomorrow." He stood up to return to his work, and I replied with a short "Got it."

"Oh oh, wait here." Jimin opened both his palms facing me, sprinting to the kitchen of the cafe like an excessively enthusiastic dog with its tail uncontrollably wagging like crazy.

After a few minutes of patiently awaiting him, he reappeared with an appetizing dessert secured in his hand.

Rigorously positioning the transparent vintage glass bowl in front of me, Jimin handed me a silver spoon, "Here's your strawberry parfait."

"But I didnt order any-"

"Shh, it's on me." He held one finger to his plump lips, sending me a secretive, ingratiating wink.

I couldn't repress my chuckle at his sheer slyness.

"Thanks Jimin."

~ The Next Day ~

5:00 pm

Making it just on time, I was right about to enter the cafe until the wooden door thrusted out toward me with great brutality, nearly hitting my face.

I scowled at the belligerent individual, only to realize it was Hyori, my classmate and the last person I'd want to deal with, and her unnecessarily large Gucci bag dangling from her right arm.

"Oh, hello Mina." She greeted instead of giving me an apology, her flattened nose high up in the air with her forced facade disguising her revulsion of seeing me.

It's funny how we used to be best of friends.

I trusted her, even about my mom.

But she was so blinded by the flattering sensation of praise, that one day, she chose popularity over me.

Since then, we've become nothing more than mere classmates with growing resentment.

"Oh, great timing actually. I wanted to ask you to do me a favor."

Without giving me a mere second to decline, she placed a hand on her bony waist and shot me a piercing glare.

"I noticed how close you've gotten to Jungkook recently, and I'd like you to, you know, back off?" Hyori pretended to shoo me away, fearing I'd be a threat to her unattainable, three-year crush on him. 

Wow, I've heard cliche lines like this in TV shows, but I never knew there would come a day I'd actually be told in reality.

"Darn, only if I could find any shits to give about your problem." I pouted in compassion toward her, having zero intentions of ending my relations with Jungkook.

"Whatever, he's not even going to like you with a face like yours. Why don't you have your mom teach you how to apply makeup properly? Oh, right," Hyori paused, moving in closer and cocking her head leftward. 

"You don't have one."

The next thing I knew, a resounding slap echoed throughout the desolate streets.

Coming to my senses, I saw Hyori apathetically holding onto her cheek, strands of her auburn hair cascading down her face and serving as a curtain for her darkly pinkened skin.

I've been able to tolerate her insensitive, thick-skinned remarks, but making fun of me about my mom is where someone crosses the line.

Noticing that a number of people were beginning to crowd around us, Hyori regained her composure and ran off out of embarrassment.

The group of witnesses gradually disseminated, revealing a completely dumbfounded Jimin to be staring directly at me.

"S-Sorry, I didnt mean to watch." He timidly apologized for observing my little quarrel.

"It's fine. You probably think I'm a total bitch now for slapping her like that." I let out a small laugh of shame, but Jimin was quick to shake his head and deny my assumption.

"No n-not at all! You looked really hot! I-I mean, you looked cool! Or-" He overreacted nervously, which made me giggle a bit, making him smile too.

"You're really amazing, Mina."

"Thanks." I blushed.

Beckoning to me with a thrilled expression, Jimin asked, "Let's go?"

Nodding in compliance, I hurried to catch up with him.