Overdue

~ The Next Day ~

Reaching the university, the very first thing I did was zealously seek for Jungkook all throughout the campus with one definitive, explicit purpose set in mind.

I'm going to tell him today.

After a painstaking search and brief interrogations to others asking of where he is, I ultimately found myself near the staircase where Jungkook was last seen according to Taehyung.

Approaching the secluded area behind the stairs, I spotted him at last, his well-built back facing me while he leaned against a wall.

Deeply inhaling a breath of boldness and encouragement, I advanced toward where he stood with a heart abounding with immeasurable butterflies flapping their wings.

"Jung-"

My footsteps ceased immediately, witnessing the petrifying image of Jungkook passionately kissing Hyori, his plump lips adjoined with her tint-stained lips and his tender hands secured on her waist.

I remained absolutely terror-stricken and speechless, four regretful words reiterating over and over again inside my stupefied mind.

I was too late.

I took a tremulous step backwards intending to escape, but the faint tap of my Nike sneakers was unfortunately caught by Jungkook, making the two love birds drift their attention to me.

Once he acknowledged my presence, a malicious, devil-like smirk creeped onto Jungkook's face in an instant.

Giving Hyori one last peck on her cheek, he motioned her to return to class first with a promising "I'll see you later."

Exhibiting a seductive simper at him in response, she separated from him and purposely bumped her shoulder against mine, ensuring that I saw her contemptuous sneer before walking off.

I wordlessly tolerated her derision, having neither the motivation nor vigor to fight back, and especially because I couldn't do anything about it. 

Smugly walking toward me with his hands stuffed in his pockets, Jungkook halted a few inches apart from me and greeted me with an indifferent "hey," acting as if all the sheer avoidance, antagonism, and coldness he's given me has never existed.

"Hey.." I muttered, unaccustomed to his sudden transition in behavior and attitude.

"Heard you broke up with Jimin last night." He mentioned with callousness in his tone, as if he couldn't care less but brought it up in order to refresh my memory.

"Yeah.. I-I see you got yourself a girlfriend." I referred to the subject that hadn't left my thoughts for a split second.

"Yeah, and?" Jungkook raised one of his dark brows, ruthlessly puncturing my chest with his apathetic words.

"Y-You must really like her." I faltered, trying so hard not to reveal how gravely heartbroken I was by the unforeseen news.

His disinterested expression unvarying, Jungkook shrugged his broad shoulders, "Yeah, I guess."

No, you don't.

As much as I despise the hell out of Hyori as a person, it was still unrighteous of him to manipulate and utilize her for his own personal, egotistical benefits.

Gathering up the greatest fortitude within me, I asked the self-evident query, "Jungkook, do you really have feelings for her?"

But as if something had instantaneously snapped inside of him, Jungkook's gaze transformed into an enraged glare.

"Why the hell do you care?! What do you know Mina?!" He raised his voice at me vehemently, rage and indignation blazing in his enlarged eyes.

My whole body trembled shrinkingly out of dread, seeing a frightening, belligerent side of Jungkook I never knew.

Fiercely gritting his teeth and clenching his fists, he furrowed his eyebrows with animosity.

"You don't know anything about my feelings. You never did."

His statement ferociously pierced right through my already battered heart, because he has no fucking idea how much I care about him, how much I was worried about him, and how much I missed him.

But it's not like he gives a damn anyways.

"But it's not right to use Hyori like that. Are you really happy with her?" I internally begged him to tell the impartial, authentic truth, earnestly hoping he had even the slightest amount of morality left in him like how the old him did.

As if he had forgotten his capability of speaking, Jungkook remained close-mouthed and mute.

After a moment of deafening silence, he finally gave me an answer.

"I'm happier with her than I'll ever be with you."

And with that, Jungkook walked past me and evanesced from my sight.

An empty abyss existed inside of me, my feelings so broken to the point where I was numb from his vile, hostile remarks.

I didn't even recognize him anymore.

It hurt, really.

To watch someone who owned the heart of a charitable, benevolent angel transform into a pitiless, unscrupulous devil all because of me.

He loved me, and he changed.

He loved me, and I finally loved him.

He loved me, and I was too late.

But as selfish as this sounds,
I really wish he waited for me a little longer.