Façade

7:30 am

"Earth to Mina, earth to Mina."

Yuri repeatedly swayed her hand in front of me, subsequently snapping me back to reality and out of my imagination, which was inundated with recurring thoughts of Jimin.

"H-Huh?" I fluttered my eyes, as if my internal "ON" button had just been activated.

"You've been daydreaming for the past five minutes, completely ignoring my story about how I slipped in the shower this morning!" Yuri whined, and I instinctively lied with a "Sorry, I'm just tired."

"Don't you dare lie to me Mina. I know you're in love. I've seen infatuated girls like you, and they can't even go a second without thinking of their crush. Now spill." She sassily snapped her fingers, her expression overflowing with excitement.

"W-Well... I have this, itty-bitty crush on this guy..." I trailed off, and out of nowhere, a fart noise produced by someone's mouth caught both of our attentions.

Jungkook, rudely eavesdropping from his seat next to mine, was snickering with his elevated shoulders quivering as he tried his very best to restrain from bursting out.

After his laughter subsided, he looked at me, "Sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop but that's just way too funny. You? Liking a guy?"

"Yeah? I'm a girl too you know." I glowered, slightly offended.

"Yeah, a girl with a brain the size of a crumb! No guy's ever going to go for a stupid blockhead like you Mina." Jungkook lifted the corner of his lip in audacity and disdain.

Fuck, that hurt.

"Jungkook!" Yuri scolded out of genuine outrage, stretching forward and assaulting him with a vigorous smack he totally deserved.

I would generally fire back at Jungkook with a disparagement equally as belligerent, but this time, I just couldn't.

I know, I'm not the smartest person.

I know, I don't receive the best grades.

I know, I'm nothing compared to Jungkook's brains.

But the fact that he utilized my insecurity in order to look down on me absolutely crushed my motivation, self-confidence, and aspirations.

But before Jungkook could witness how much his remark affected me emotionally, I got up from my seat while forcibly suppressing my infuriation.

"Where're you going Mina?" My best friend gazed up at me worriedly, but all I could say was "I-I'm going to out to get some fresh air."

With that, I hustled out of the classroom with unstoppable steps until I reached the outside of the university entrance.

"Wait!" I heard Jungkook call out to me desperately as he drew me back with a powerful grip on my forearm, but I snatched it back and shouted ragingly, "Leave me alone!"

"I cant! I need to know why you're acting like this all of a sudden!" He furrowed his thick brows, his ignorance and inability to acknowledge his mistake pissing me off even more.

"How would you feel if someone called you stupid, completely disregarding the immense effort you make to improve your grades? Why do you think I asked you to tutor me? Why do you think I actually listen in class now? Why do you think I work so hard on my assignments?" I bombarded him questions, my interrogation causing him to shut his blabbering mouth.

"You probably think I'm overreacting, but what you said really hurt you asshole."

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I was joking around but I took it too far." Jungkook looked at me with abounding remorse, but I couldn't find myself to bury the hatchet that easily this time.