Loving you still takes shots at me

"What do you want Chris?" I sighed wearily as I walked up the steps of my front porch.

"Don't sound like that." He sounded so sad. I forced myself to really look at him and he looked so vulnerable, so low, so heartbroken.

"Sound like what?" I stood in front of him pretending to be much stronger than I was.

"Like you're angry I'm here." He looked down.

"I'm not angry. I just don't understand why you're here. Didn't you get the message at the Moon?"

He winced. "You didn't mean that....did you?"

"I am with Zach." I blurted out the lie so quick.

Chris looked like he had been slapped. "What?"

"We started dating again." I shrugged.

"I don't believe you." He took a step closer to me.

"You saw me at the Moon didn't you? I am with him." I said sternly

"You're lying." He shook his head in disbelief.

"You left me Chris! You broke up with me. Was I supposed to sit here and wait for you to come back?"

"No. I screwed up. But I thought-"

"You thought that I would be pathetically waiting for you to return."

"No not pathetically. I thought we had something real."

"It was so real that you broke up with me for no reason. Instead of hearing me out over some stupid pictures you chose to leave."

"I made a mistake!" He cried.

I shook my head, "It's too late. I've moved on." I lied swallowing back the lump in my throat.

Chris took a step towards me and kissed me before I could stop him.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I whispered pulling back gently.

"Bree you know we belong together."

"You walked away from me. You broke my heart." I let a tear slide down my cheek. "I don't want to go through that again." I took a step back from him, "You should leave."

"Breelan I promise you if you give me another chance. I won't hurt you. I won't leave you."

"It's been 3 months Chris. 3 months. Not a week or 2 weeks or even a month! But 3 long months without one word from you."

"I don't know what to say. I was scared. And I was hurt. I thought being apart I could let you go. But I'm so in love with you that I cannot think straight!" He took his baseball hat off and ran his fingers through his hair in frustration.

We were silent for a moment.

"You should go." I said not looking at him.

"Look at me and tell me I should go." He challenged me.

I looked up at him and wanted to tell him to go but I couldn't.

"That's what I thought." He took a step towards me and pulled me back into his arms. He kissed me and I couldn't stop myself from kissing him back. He pushed me back against the front door and a moan escaped my mouth as my teeth sunk into his bottom lip.

"Invite me in." He pushed against me and I could feel had badly he wanted me.

I turned my head away from him. "No." I whispered shaking my head. "Please leave."

"Breelan." He begged.

"Please Chris. I don't want my heart broken any more than it already is."

"I won't-"

"Don't make me promises you can't keep." I straightened myself up and turned to unlock the door. I didn't say anything else to him, going inside I shut and locked the door behind me.

A few nights later my mom called me begging to come cover a shift at the Sleeping Moon. It was a week night and I had a lot going on at work. Plus the emotional state Chris had me in. Since seeing him I couldn't stop thinking about him and it  was draining me. But I knew that my mom wouldn't call and ask me if it weren't an emergency. I did tell her they needed to find some more reliable bartenders though.

The night was slow and I was flipping the channels on the tv above the bar trying to find something entertaining when Scott and Chris walked in.

"Hey." Scott gave me a small smile.

"Hey." I echoed looking back and forth between him and Chris. "What can I get you?"

"Captain and coke." Chris stared at me.

"I'll do the same." Scott agreed.

They didn't take their usual seats at the bar but found a table which wasn't hard saying it was pretty empty on a Tuesday evening.

I tried to avoid eye contact with Chris but I could feel his eyes on me. They kept a running tab and continued ordering captain and cokes. I knew Chris was drunk, Scott wasn't as bad but he was heavily buzzed. I was leaving at 10 since I did have to get up and go to work in the morning. I was wiping the bar down and cleaning up since the Moon would be closing in an hour anyway when Chris sauntered up to me.

"Hey angel." His words a tad slurred.

"Do you need me to call you a car home?" I asked.

"Nope." He popped the "p" with a grin. "Scott called an uber." He leaned on the bar. "You are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. I've been in love with you for so long I can't even remember."

I stopped wiping the bar glasses and looked up at him. "You're drunk."

"So." He shrugged. "I'm honest. And I know you love me. I will win you back Breelan Lockwood." He pushed himself back to a standing position. "You're the only one I'll ever want. Ever."

"Chris!" Scott called. "Rides here."

Chris nodded and pushed a $100 bill towards me across the bar. Following Scott outside he called over his shoulder, "I LOVE YOU BREELAN LOCKWOOD."

I had to bite back a smile as a cashed out their tab in the till.

The next afternoon after work I drove to Chris's mom's house. Even though he was drunk last night I knew he meant what he said. And obviously if I were honest with myself I was still crazy in love with him.

I knocked on the front door and waited patiently. A few seconds later Lisa opened the door.

"Breelan!" She grinned widely. "How are you sweetheart?" She stepped forward pulling me in for a hug.

"I'm good." I laughed.

"We've missed you around here." She admitted.

"I've missed you guys too." I smiled, "Is Chris here?"

"Oh no." Her smile fell, "He and Scott left for New York this morning."

"They did? They were at the Moon last night and didn't say anything. Was it last minute?"

"No, they've had it planned. I'm surprised they didn't mention it."

"Are they coming back?"
Lisa shook her head, "No, Scott's heading back to Los Angeles and Chris is returning to filming in San Francisco."

"Oh." I felt like I had been punched in the gut, "I see. Well it was good seeing you. I'll try to catch up with them another time."

And then I turned and ran back to my car before she could reply.