Thousands of miles apart and I can feel every mile

The ride home was slow and lonely. Chris and I left each other on good terms. But somehow, I felt empty. I didn't know when I'd see him again. And although I had had such a fun weekend the further I got from New York the sadder I became.

I got home, still feeling rough from the night before. I took another hot shower and then climbed into bed. I put the tv on low and grabbed my phone. I had a follow request from Hailee on Instagram which I accepted and sent her one. Looking at her profile I was surprised. She worked for Michael Kors as a fashion coordinator/advisor. All of her pictures were gorgeous. She had over a dozen from Fashion Week. And a photo of Kasey caught my eye. I clicked on her profile and scrolled through her pictures, which were mostly modeling shoots. My phone buzzing in my hand stopped my profile stalking.

"Hey." It was Chris. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm ok, about to go to bed. How are you?"
"I'm alright. This big empty bed sucks without you." He chuckled.

"Yeah, I wish I could have stayed another night. Next time." I promised.

"I'm holding you to that."

I yawned.

"How about I call you in the morning before my flight leaves?"

"OK." I agreed. "Love you."

"Love you."

I hung up and fell into a restless sleep filled with dreams of supermodels and fashion shows.

I walked into work the next morning and Cassie smiled nervously at me.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" My hand flew to my neck, I didn't have any hickey's, did I? I didn't think so, but I couldn't remember.

"You were in New York this weekend?" She asked.

"Yes....how do you know?"

"You're kinda famous."

I came around the counter to her desk as she pulled up the article that read in bold letters at the top Captain America plays the field in NYC.

"Plays the field?" I asked out loud. I scrolled the computer page up, my eyes skimming the article. There were pictures of Chris and I leaving several bars, (where did the paparazzi even come from?! I swear I didn't see any....but I was a little drunk.) In a few of the pictures we were kissing, always holding hands. But the real kick came later in the article.

"Earlier in the week Evans was seen with his supermodel Gucci co-star, Kasey Davenport where things were hot and heavy outside of the model's apartment in New York City."

There was a picture, extremely blurry, of Kasey with her arms around a guy who's face you couldn't really see that well. But that was probably because he was too busy making out with her. But I'd know that Red Sox hat anywhere. And if I needed further confirmation the next photo was of Chad, Hailee, Kasey and Chris walking across the street in front of Kasey's apartment.

"You ok?" Cassie looked at me.

"Yeah." I choked out. I quickly bee-lined for my office and shut the door behind me.

"I cannot believe him!" I clenched my hands into fists angrily.

I sat down at my desk and did my best to answer emails and figure out what my schedule for the day was. At 10:30 Chris called.

"Hello." I answered, I couldn't hide the icy tone.

"Hey, I only have a second I'm about to board the plane. I overslept."

"That's ok." I chewed my lip.

"Are you ok?"

"You were with Kasey this week?"

"What?" He asked.

"There's an article online. Paparazzi got pictures of us from Saturday night-"

"Bree I am so sorry. I didn't see them."

"It's fine. That's not what I'm upset about. They had pictures of you with Kasey earlier in the week. And you were kissing her." I added.

"I was with Kasey." He admitted. "She did kiss me. But I stopped her. I mean I was upset about you and maybe she misread some signals. But I stopped her. And I told her that I was in love with you."

"Why didn't you tell me?" My heart was still slowly breaking.

"I didn't want to hurt you. It meant nothing to me. I promise you that. I should have told you we hung out earlier this week, but I was just so happy you called and agreed to come see me. I didn't want to risk losing you again."

I heard the phone shuffle and some voice. "Babe I have to go. I'm sorry. I love you, ok? I will call you the moment I land."

"Ok." I hung the phone up and set it down on my desk.

"Kasey Davenport." Kirsten was reading the article later that night. She had come over to get all the details from the weekend including the new information.

"What do you think?" I asked her.

"About Kasey?"
"And Chris." I sat down on my couch tucking my legs underneath.

"I think you should listen to Chris. I mean I don't think he did anything with her."

"I don't either. Besides the kiss in front of her apartment." My stomach turned thinking about it.

"And she's in New York so it's not like they're together out in California."

"But they used to date." I pointed out.

"Guess it's the same as you and Zach. You want him to trust you, right? Goes both ways."

"But I wasn't caught kissing Zach."

"Had Zach had the opportunity he would have." Kirsten laughed.

I rolled my eyes with a smile. "Ok I'm done talking about this." I picked my phone up and scrolled through Instagram. Hailee had posted a new picture. It was of her and Kasey boarding a plane. The caption read Cali here we come.