Kabanata 10

"I REALLY can't believe that you and Kuya would end up together, Elle! I'm so happy for the both of you!" Claire squealed in excitement as she hugged me from the back.

I chuckled when I saw how my hairstylist stared at us with concern. Baka nga naman masira ang buhok ko na kakaayos lang.

"Thank you. Hindi ko rin naman in-expect," sagot ko sa matalik na kaibigan.

"Hindi ako makapaniwala na super sneaky pala ni Kuya! Ni hindi ko napansin na he's already making a move on you na pala!" she said as she sat on the chair beside me, fully dressed up with her hair and make-up done, too.

Today is my wedding day.

Claire didn't know anything about the real reason why her brother and I would get married. She just thought that we really fell in love.

Sabay kaming napalingon sa pintuan nang marinig namin ang pagbukas niyon. Agad naming nakita ang mommy nila na nakangiti ring naglakad papalapit sa amin.

Claire just smiled politely at her mom before she hurriedly excused herself. Kitang-kita ko ang lungkot sa mga mata ng mommy niya habang sinusundan siya ng tingin.

Sobrang layo ng loob ni Claire sa parents niya. Mula kasi pagkabata ay mga katulong at si Claus lang talaga ang halos nakagisnan niya. She rarely sees them at home and they were even absent during her important events. Kaya ngayong sinusubukan nilang hulihin ang loob ng anak ay mukhang huli na ang lahat.

Malungkot na ngiti ang sinalubong ko sa kanya nang tuluyan niya akong balingan ng tingin. Nginitian niya ako pabalik bago tuluyang humakbang palapit sa 'kin.

My eyes fell on the blue velvet box she was holding. She looked down at it too before a smile broke on her face as she carefully opened the box. It revealed a beautiful diamond necklace.

"Tita Claudia—"

"Mommy. You should start calling me that from now on, hija. You're going to be one of us," putol niya sa sasabihin ko sana. I watched her placed the box on the dresser in front of me and very slowly took the necklace and placed it around my neck.

Hindi ko maiwasang mapasinghap habang manghang-mangha akong nakatitig sa repleksyon ko sa harap ng salamin. I touched the largest diamond and smiled as I felt the cold chain around my neck.

"It's so beautiful, Ti—Mommy." She smiled at me while staring at the necklace on my neck.

"This had been passed on to me by my mother-in-law on my wedding day," she said with a reminiscing expression on her face.

"This is a heirloom passed on the first brides of the Zco family," dagdag niya habang marahang hinahaplos ang pisngi ko.

"Welcome to the family, Elle. You know naman na pamilya naman na talaga ang turing namin sayo noon pa man, but this time, this is different. You're going to marry my son and you'll be my daughter—for real," ani niya na muling nagparamdam sa 'kin ng guilt.

Everyone from his family treats me so well. Everyone treats me like family and here I am, taking advantage of his feelings for me. Using his love as a shield against the people who wanted to harm me and my family's legacy.

"Oh no, dear! 'Wag kang umiyak," nagpa-panic niyang puna nang mag-umpisang magtubig ang mga mata ko.

"I'm sorry, I just . . . ang ganda po," naiiyak kong saad bago ko naramdaman ang mga braso niyang pumalibot sa mga balikat ko.

I have never seen my mom.

Cynthia and her mom were the closest maternal love I got while I was growing up and maybe that's why when Claus' mother hugged me, I felt an indescribable warmth inside me.

It was as if saying that everything's going to be alright. Na magiging ayos lang ako—kami.

I was slowly walking alone on the aisles as a beautiful melodic track resounded in the background. Gustuhin ko man sanang kasama si Daddy ay hindi pa rin talaga siya nagigising hanggang ngayon and we can't afford to delay the wedding anymore.

I took a deep breath as I looked up at ang una kong nakita ay si Claus na kasalukuyang nakangiti habang pinapanood akong maglakad papalapit sa kanya. Para bang automatic na kumurba rin ang mga labi ko para ngitian siya pabalik.

My mind was already in serene when I suddenly noticed a familiar figure blending in with the crowd. Muntik na akong matigilan sa paglalakad nang makita ko si Tim na mariin ring nakatingin sa 'kin. His eyes were red with rage as he watched me take every step.

Mabilis kong iniwas ang tingin sa kanya at halos takbuhin ko na ang pagitan namin ni Claus para matapos na agad ang lahat nang ito bago pa biglaang magbago ang isip ko.

"You look so beautiful," puna ni Claus bago hinalikan ang likuran ng palad ko. Isang pilit na ngiti lang ang naisagot ko sa kanya habang pilit na iniiwas ang tingin ko sa lalaking tunay kong mahal na kasalukuyan akong pinapanood na ikasal sa iba.

"Do you, Claus Zco, take this woman to be your lawful wife, to live together in holy matrimony, to love her, to honor her, to comfort her, and to keep her in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do." Titig na titig si Claus sa 'kin habang sinasagot ang tanong ng pari. I can feel his tight grip on my hands as if he was afraid that I would run away anytime.

"Do you, Samuelle Evans, take this man to be your lawful husband, to live together in holy matrimony, to love him, to honor him, to comfort him, and to keep him in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?" I heard the priest asked.

I stared at Claus who was also staring at me before my eyes unconsciously fell over to the man standing alone on the corner of this chapel.

"I repeat, do you, Samuelle Evans, take this man to be your lawful husband, to live together in holy matrimony, to love him, to honor him, to comfort him, and to keep him in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?" the priest repeated and I was only able to come back to my senses when I felt Claus' hold on me tightened.

I looked up to him and see his eyes pleading.

"Please . . ." pakiusap niya sa napapaos na boses.

Sandali akong yumuko kasabay nang pag-tulo ng luha ko.

"I do," sagot ko sa basag na boses.