Chapter 7: I'll Be Home For Christmas - Part 2

Chapter 7: I'll be home for Christmas part 2

"at the end of the day, a loving family should find everything forgivable."

I knew from a young age that my parents liked perfection. They expected perfection from myself, Jaxon, and Axel. I didn't have any issues with it at first – I thrived on the praise my parents would give me, but the twins had trouble with it. They would go against everything my parents wanted and often, they got into trouble. It started out with little things, like rebelling against dad's orders but when they met up with the wrong crowd, it went from bad to worse.

My parents kept a lot of things that happened from me. I guess they were worried that I might end up in the same situations that they were in.

But then, The Night happened.

It was a Tuesday. I remember it clearly because I had a huge Chemistry test the next morning and I ended up missing it.

At the time, Jax and Axel had this thing where they took turns being complete idiots. I don't know if it was intentional or if by chance.

Around 10:30 p.m. that night, my parents received a call from both the police station and the hospital. Axel, who was 18 at the time, had gone out with friends that evening and had been given explicit instructions to be home by 10:00 p.m. but we all knew he wouldn't listen.

My mom rushed to the hospital, and dad headed to the police station while I had to wait at home with Jax, despite his pleads to go with mom. I always got the impression that my dad wasn't as worried about Axel as we all were, and I grew to understand why as I got older.

Mom and Axel came home first, Axel banged up and bruised but alive after a minor car collision. It was hours before dad got home.

He looked exhausted and after staring blankly at Axel for a few minutes, he'd sighed tiredly.

"Don't ever expect me to do what I just did for you again." Was all he said.

It was years before I learned the truth about what happened that night, and part of me wishes I never did.

***

December 25th

It was always hit or miss with Christmas in our family. Things either went smoothly and everyone was relatively happy, or everything was a disaster. This Christmas everything started out okay. Aside from the elephant in the room, we were all happy. I know mom took it hard every year when Axel wouldn't come out of his room and this year was no different.

My parents are cooking dinner while Jax and I hang out in the living room watching Christmas movies. I notice my mom glancing over to the stairs every so often as if she is expecting Axel to come upstairs.

"I saw him last night." I tell Jax quietly.

He shrugs. "I see him every so often. He does leave his room if dad's not 'round."

"Think dad will ever forgive him?"

Jax gives me a tired look. "The chances of dad forgiving him are about the same as Axel forgiving you."

I ignore his low blow and turn my attention back to the tv. Home Alone is playing and it makes me a little sad because the twins and I would watch those movies every Christmas growing up.

There's suddenly a loud clang from the kitchen and I look to see dad glaring at mom.

"He's not coming Grace. You need to accept that." My dad snaps. I watch as my mom takes off her apron throwing it on the ground before leaving the room.