Chapter 23: Family Is Forever

Chapter 23: family is forever

"ohana means family. family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten."
- Lilo & Stich

September 10th

"Excited?" I ask Clara who is nearly quivering in her seat with excitement. She is spending the day with Jo again because he leaves tonight since training camp will start this week and it's unlikely she will see him for awhile unless we go visit him. Due to her being in school Monday to Friday and his hockey schedule, it's doubtful she will see him much.

It surprised all of us when she took a quick liking to Jo - even faster than she did with Tyler. I suspect it's because she's longed for a family for so long that she is latching on to whatever paternal figures that comes into her life.

"Yes! Jo said we can go to the park and the aquarium."

"Sounds fun." Tyler says, sulking in his seat. It's harmless really, and he knows better than to be jealous but it's actually kind of funny.

Clara looks at him and pats his hand. "We can go to the park tomorrow if you want."

I cover a laugh by coughing. Tyler glares at me when I lay his breakfast in front of him. He eats slowly while Clara digs in, eating her breakfast as quickly as possible. I stick with tea and toast again, because I still can't keep many foods down. Half of what I used to eat just makes me want to throw up when I think about it.

"Want some eggs?" Clara asks me, pushing her plate towards me and it takes everything in me not to gag at the sight of it.

"She's not feeling the best, rookie." Tyler says, slowly pulling the plate back towards them.

She shrugs her shoulders. "Okay."

Then the doorbell rings and she's out of her chair like a rocket. She nearly runs head first in to the door but manages to catch herself just in time.

"Play nice." I mutter to Tyler when Jo walks inside.

"Jo!"

"Hey, ma coccinelles." He says, accepting the hug from her and letting her drag him to the table.

"Hey, Daisy." He says and then nods at Tyler.

"Tyler."

"Drouin." He responds and I elbow him and he forces a smile.

"Jonathan." He says and I close my eyes, realizing that this is what the rest of my life is going to look like.

Clara is either ignoring or is completely blind to the tension in the room because she just grabs her backpack (the Dallas Stars one, much to Jo's dismay and Tyler's satisfaction), and waves to us before pulling Jo to the door.

"Have fun!" I say before they are out the door. I turn to Tyler who is typing away on his phone and I peak to see he's chatting with Axel. He's currently dating someone but refuses to tell me who it is but of course, Tyler knows and I'm fairly certain both Jo and Jax know too.

Come to think of it, probably everyone except me knows.

"Is Axel telling you about his girlfriend?" I ask, nudging Tyler and for a fraction of a second, his fingers pause but he recovers quickly.

Curious. Very curious.

"Nope."

"So, if I look at your phone right now, there will be no texts from him talking about a girl?"