Chapter 19: When We Were Young

Chapter 19: when we were young

"and it's selfish of me to say this, but no one will ever love you the way I do."

August 16th

"When will Tyler be back?"

"I don't know."

"Is he not coming back?" She asks shortly, looking at me like she knows I am the reason he's gone. "Is that why we're leaving?"

"No." I say, packing more of her clothes in a suitcase and ignoring her first question. "We're going to Montreal."

"Why?"

I stop, taking a deep breath and turning to look at her. She has her hands on her hips and a scowl on her face that reminds me of Tyler. Clearly they were spending too much time together.

"You said you wanted to meet my mom, right?" I ask and she purses her lips but nods.

"So that is why we're going there. You also have a doctor appointment while we're there."

"Why?"

"Because."

"'Cause why?" She questions and I sigh.

"You just do. Now go back your carry-on bag, okay?"

She looks like she might fight me on it but sighs dramatically and walks to her closet, yanking out a bag with the Dallas Stars logo on it that Jamie bought her a few weeks ago.

Once everything is packed, I leave a note on the fridge for Tyler even though I have no idea when he will be back. I sent him multiple text messages the past week but he hasn't answered. The only reason I know he is even alive, is because I texted Jackie who told me he was with her and was very kind in not asking what happened. I have no idea what Tyler told her but she didn't seem mad with me, just asking how Clara was and when we would come visit her.

I couldn't give her an answer because I had no idea what was going on between Tyler and I. Visiting his mom while he was there wasn't exactly something I was interested in doing with all that is happening.

She accepted my vague answer and told me that Tyler said hello, but I know he didn't.

Now, Clara and I are sitting in the airport and she's on Facetime with Jaxon who she had taken a quick liking to when they first met. I wonder how she will like my mom and Axel.

"How is the baby?" She asks Jax, and for the tenth time, I forget that Lauren gave birth a few weeks ago. With everything that has been going on, I have barely been able to keep up with my own life, let alone someone else. 

"She's sleeping." Jax says and I look over to see the camera focused on little Nellie. She cute, I'll admit that and it makes me sad that I missed that part of Clara's life but I try to remind myself that I made the right decision but it doesn't make it any easier.

"We will go visit soon," I promise Clara who smiles and continues to badger Jax with questions about Nellie until we are called to board the plane.

"Good luck with the test." Jax tells me and I force a smile.

"Thanks."

He ends the call and I take Clara's hand so I don't lose her in the crowd. She's not a fan of flying - something I learned when we flew from Oklahoma to Dallas but with promises of ice-cream and cookies when we get to Montreal, she behaves well. But halfway through the flight, she throws a fit.

She's been asking to call Tyler ever since he left and I keep having to make up excuses but apparently she's had enough because she suddenly starts crying.