Chapter 21: Everything Is About To Change

Chapter 21: everything is about to change

"things change and we have to learn to live with it."

September 1st

"So have you two started thinking about custody arrangements?"

"Huh?"

Jax pins me with a look. "Have you been listening to anything I've been saying?"

Truthfully? No. My head is still spinning after learning that I am pregnant. 8 weeks to be exact and I still can't believe I was blind enough to not notice any symptoms. My doctor said it can sometimes be normal, especially if you're going though a lot of stress which explains a lot.

"Yeah, something about Nellie-"

"C'mon, Daisy. I was talking about her five minutes ago. I asked if you and Jo have talked about custody arrangements?"

Whoops. "Oh. No we haven't."

"Does Clara know?"

"Nope."

"Daisy."

I rein in the urge to roll my eyes. "I've been busy."

"So busy that you can't tell your daughter who her father is?"

"She's a kid. She doesn't need to worry about things like that."

Jax doesn't have to say anything because his expression says it all. I can't bring myself to worry about what he thinks now because I still haven't told Tyler that I'm pregnant and God what a mess.

"Well, if you need a lawyer, you know where to find me."

"Unlikely," I tell him. "But thanks."

His strained smile tells me he thinks otherwise.

***

"You don't normally eat this much." Tyler mummers, dishing out a second serving of lasagna for me. "You're not pregnant, are you?" He jokes and water sprays out of Jax's mouth. I've perfected my poker face so I don't even flinch.

"That's a ridiculous question." I say, glaring at Jax who's staring at me with wide eyes. I take my eyes off him to smile at Tyler who is staring at Jax.

"I wouldn't mind a baby sister!" Clara pipes up cheerfully, making funny faces at Nellie who's laying in a rocker situated between Clara and Lauren.

Motherhood definitely changed Lauren for the better because I can stand to be in the same room with her now. I would even go so far as to say I enjoy her company.

"We'll talk about it," I say absently but Jax is still staring at me and I'm about two seconds away from throwing a roll at him when the doorbell rings and saves the day.

"I'll get it!" Clara says, jumping off her chair and races to the door. When she squeals, I know it's Jamie.

"Hey, half-pint." He says, letting Clara drag him to the table.

"Hope I'm not interrupting." Jamie says. "I forgot my jacket here yesterday."

"Not at all." I tell him. "Sit and have some dinner."

"I ate, but thanks." He says but Clara tugs on his arm.

"Please. Mom made cheesecake." She begs and as usual, nobody can say no to Clara so he nods and sits in an empty chair.