Quick Meal

-6:00 PM-
Betty turned around and placed the gown on the bed, as she walked over to Archie, placing her hand on his shoulder. He turned around, and smiled.

"They've already discharged you, so do you want to go home now or go to Pop's?" Archie asked opening the door.

Betty grabbed a small comb a nurse got her, and brushed through her hair. "I'm really hungry..." She said, walking out through the halls along side Archie.

Betty's hair almost completely straight but a little wavy rested on one shoulder, as she walked.

When they reached the door to the outside Archie held it open for Betty, as she walked outside.

Betty and Archie walked to the truck quickly, staring up into the dark, stormy clouds above their heads.

Betty got into the passenger seat, and Archie sat in his dad's truck. Archie put the bag of medicine behind his chair, and started up the car as Betty stared out into the forest beside the hospital.

    The road to the hospital isn't on a freeway, but just a road. Surrounding the road was miles of forest, known as Eversgreen forest. If you continued north through there, you would reach the Sisters Of Quiet Mercy.

    The storm clouds tumbled above them as it started to rain, making the forest even brighter with life. Different shades of green battling, as animals retreated to their homes. Rain clinging to the window, Archie turned on the whispers while Betty's finger traced their path.

    Archie pulled up to Pop's dinner, and quickly glanced over to Betty, before taking the key out of the ignition, and running outside. He quickly shut the door, and sprinted over to Betty's. He opened it for her as she stepped out, and closed the door. They both ran inside from the rain.

    Betty looked around the diner, and pointed to a small booth in the corner. There was an older couple across the room, and other than that it was empty. Betty and Archie sat on opposite sides of the booth, as Pop Tate walked over to them.

    "Your regulars?" Pop asked, trying not to be nosy. He was doing a fair job, considering Betty had cuts and a small bruise on her face.

    Betty nodded, as Archie answered, "That would be great Pop. Thanks."

    "I'm going to the restroom, I'll be right back. Will you be okay?" Archie asked standing up slowly.

    "Yeah." Betty said softly, staring out the window. As Archie disappeared behind a door, the sound of Pop's bell rang. Reggie Mantel entered, walking up to Pop at the counter.

    "I'll have my regular, thanks." Reggie said, pulling out his wallet from his back pocket. Betty quickly stopped staring, and went back to looking out the window. It was somewhat light out, but the glow from the neon sign above their heads was making the night darker.

    Reggie pulled out a $20 bill, and gave Pop a very generous tip. He looked around the diner for a place to sit, as his eyes laid onto Betty. He walked over to her booth, as Betty resisted the urge to turn around and cry into his shoulder.

    Reggie slid into the booth next to Betty, "You here alone? Did you just get out of the hospital?"

    Betty whispered, "Archie's in the bathroom." turning her head to his.

    "The police said you went missing when I came back the other day... What happened?" Reggie asked.

    Betty very quietly explain in the smallest of details, as Reggie nodded to her statements.

    Reggie pulled Betty into a hug, as Betty accepted, hugging him back. After a quick moment she pulled away, and rested her head on his shoulder. Staring into nothing but air, mind blank.

    Archie walked out of the bathroom drying his hands on his jeans, looking at the ground as he walked. When he looked up he smiled slightly, making eye contact with Reggie.

    Archie sat down across from both of them, as Pop Tate walked over with all three meals.

    "Will that be all?" He asked, as everyone nodded but Betty. She wasn't moving, just staring at Archie, but she wasn't. She was looking straight through him, into the night.

    Reggie shifted a little in his seat, which caused Betty to sit upright again. She stared down at the grilled cheese with strawberry milkshake and fries.

    Reggie are his two cheeseburgers quite quickly, while Archie was taking his time with his. Betty ate the grilled cheese sandwich slowly at first, just a few bites, but then ate it much quicker realizing she hasn't eaten in almost two days. She ate her fries quickly too, finishing at the same time as everyone else.

    They drank their milkshakes in silence, when Reggie started a conversation. "So, Andrews, what sports are you doing this year? You FAILED at wrestling but we will always welcome you back to basketball and football."

    "I think I'll take you up on that offer, Reg." Archie paused, "What about you Betty?"

    Betty looked over at them, and then put her milkshake down. "I was thinking about doing cheerleading again... but I'm not sure."

    Archie and Reggie nodded, not sure what to say. Reggie decided to encourage her, "I think you'll make a wonderful cheerleader. You were last year."

    Betty smiled at the compliment, and finished her milkshake. "Where's Veronica?" Betty asked, just noticing.

    Archie sighed and looked down, "Her parents forced her to go back to New York... and she broke up with me."

    Betty's eyes went wide; and then processed that Archie didn't really care Veronica broke up with him. Archie shrugged it off, staring at his empty plate.

    "I'll go pay the bill." He said softly, sliding out of his seat. As Archie walked away to the counter, Betty laid her head on Reggie's shoulder.

    She hadn't slept well recently, so it wasn't a surprise she was incredibly tired. Drifting off into sleep she didn't notice when Archie sat down and started talking with Reggie.
-7:43 PM-
    Reggie carries Betty's sleeping body to Archie's car, and set her up in the passenger's seat. He buckled her in, and shut the door, watching Archie pull his car out of Pop's parking lot.

Betty was barely aware of what was happening, body limp. Archie drove slowly, careful not to walk her. When he pulled up to his house, he left the car, and ran up the stairs to his house's door. He opened it first, and then walked back down to the car.

Archie opened Betty's car door, and picked her up bride style. Archie used his foot to close the car door, and struggled, but managed, to lock the car.

Archie did the same step on the front door, and then carried Betty up the stairs into his bedroom. He laid her down on the unmade bed, and grabbed the blue and red plaid comforter. Archie pull it over Betty, and walked into his dads room for the night.