Chapter 8 (EDITED)

Song - The Chair -
George Straight

Nick's POV

I saw her sittin' there by herself, and realized that I never found out her name. I walked up to her.

"Hey, I don't think I ever caught your name."

"Jesse Howard. Nick right?" She asked.

"Nick Thompson." I said sticking out my hand, like expected she shook my hand.

"Nice to meet you." She said. Her voice sounded like an angel.

"Pleasures' mine."

"Excuse me, but I'm next." She said. I knew that she wasn't lying.

"See ya later. If thats' alright?"

"Yeah." She handed me a piece of paper. I looked at the paper, and it had her number.

She walked off, but I followed making sure that none of the guys would mess with her. She stopped and looked around. I walked up about thirty seconds after she stopped.

"Need any help?" I asked

"Will you be nice enough to help me into the shoot? JJ was so post to help me, but he never showed up." She asked.

"Yes. I'd be obliged" I agreed

"Your awesome. You know that?"

I followed her to the shoot, and saw Real Outlaw waitin' for her. He's a nasty horse. I put my hands on her hips helping her in, and ready to pull her out in any case that she need to be pulled out. She handed me her phone, and grabbed my shirt.

"Hold my gun. I am conceal carry. Do not get caught. I'll find you after my ride. Got it?"

"Yes, ma'am." She handed me a 9 millimeter and I put it in my boot.

She got situated, and nodded her head. Outlaw got dangerously close to the rail, but he never hit it. The ride lasted 8, and she waited for one of the pickup men.

She walked back here with her gear in hand. She got her phone and gun from me, putting the gun in her vest.

"When do you go she asked?" She asked

"6th."

"Want some help?"

"Sure." Just then JJ Jackson walked up, and she turned her back toward him.

"I'm sorry." JJ said. Drunk JJ.

"Please leave me alone, JJ. You were the one man I trusted, and you broke that trust. You can get on that bronc yourself." She said, then went to walk away, but JJ grabbed her wrist.

"Do not talk to me that way." She must be gettin' uncomfortable, then she was punched square in the nose. Then he went to swing at her. Before he could, I grabbed his hand, yanked him off her, and had him pinned to the wall.

"Leave the lady alone. She made it clear she wanted you to leave her alone."

"Just go ride the damn bronc, and don't talk to me again." She said.

I tried to stay between them, but she walked up beside me. When he left, she turned to me.

"Than you. You didn't have to do that though. JJ was drunk."

"He put his hands on you. You told him to leave you alone, but he didn't listen."

"Thanks anyway. Let's get you ready to ride. I don't help many people either. But I think I can trust you." She said. Her voice is so angelic.

"I hope that you learn to trust men again. But I'll be happy to help  you get over your fear. Until then can we be friends?"

"I'd like that a lot."