Chapter 9 (EDITED)

Song - Boys 'Round Here -
Blake Shelton

Jesse's POV
I just agreed to be friends with Nick. I have to be careful. But he has pulled idiots off me twice that were trying to hurt me. Maybe he's different. Who knows until ya try. Right?

I walked up to the shoot, and helped him get situated, he handed me his phone, and then reseated himself. He nodded and the bronc busted out of the shoot. Free Flyer is who he was riding. That bronc is good, but isn't as rank as Real Outlaw.

I watched as he spurred Flyer on, and rode the 8, and made the pickup men.

I met up with him by my gear, and handed him his phone.

"Thanks" He says taking his phone.

"Your welcome."

"Will you do me another favor?"

"Depends on what it is."

"Walk my horse down the alley."

"I can do that."

"Then lets go get him."
I walked off towards the stalls, Nick followed me and I went to Coal's stall and grabbed his purple halter and led him to my trailer.

"This is Coal. He's my pole horse. The palomino is my barrel horse, Jack and the bay is my tie down horse, Cowgirl." I said as we walked past the their stalls. I let him pet Jack and Cowgirl.

We continued to my trailer, and I let him brush Coal while I took off my chaps and vest, and changed into my other spurs. Then I grabbed Coals' purple set, and saddled him. When I mounted I asked, "Wanna walk or wanna ride?"

"Ride." I kicked my foot out of the stirrup and offered him a hand up.

When he was settled, I asked Coal for a walk and he complied.

"When did you start competing?" Nick asked

"When I was 7, I won my first buckle. My first check was at 14. Then my first saddle was at 16."

"Wow. Who knew you were that good?"

"JJ started me on an old ropin' mare when I was 3, then he bought my first horse at 5, we worked on her for 2 years, then I won my buckle at 7." I said kinda sad.

"He's just an ass. Don't worry about him. He's just jealous."

"Speaking of jealous, incoming." I said quietly

"So you would rather let the player be around you, then someone who has known you your whole life?" JJ said. I tried to ignore him and keep walking.
He tried to yank me off my horse, but Coal tried to bite him. When we walked past, JJ tried to grab me again, but this time, Coal kicked him, on the calf, and kept walking.

"Easy boy, your alright. Nothin's gonna happen. Your alright. Easy boy."

"Who knew you had protective horses?" Nick said

"He is protective because he was there when my dad left. He was going but he was there. He is only about 4 and he is the most protective."

"Wow. You broke him?"

"Yeah. JJ was there when I started him. He thought he was a waste of space. JJ tried to shoot him twice. That's why this horse don't like him."

"I wouldn't like him either. Hell, I probably would've kicked him in the balls instead of leg."

"That was just his warning." I said proud of my horse.

"Ima drop you off while I warm up."

"Ok."

"Ya can watch if ya want." With that, I rode off, and warmed up my horse. I was fourth out in poles.

"Ready?" Nick asked when it was my turn.

"Let's do this."

Nick grabbed one of the reins, leading him in, and then let him go I kicked him to the last pole.
"Ho!" I called and let him do a 180 and then smooched though the pattern.
"Ho!" I called again making him turn again, and smooched though the pattern again. Lettin' him run while I dropped my reins to give him his hole head. When I was done, I hopped off, loosened my cinch, and let him rest. I knew he was tired. So then, I walked him to my trailer, of course, Nick walked with me.

When we got there JJ was makin' out with some whore and he was tryin' to open my trailer.

"Lookin' for this?" I held up my extra key.

"Give me the key."

"Get away from MY trailer. I bought this one. With the money I earned from my winnings. So bye now. Oh and bless your heart." I said knowing I pissed him off.

"Look here, bitch. I suggest you leave."

"She ain't goin' anywhere. If she is, she's goin' to the cops to file harassment charges." Nick spoke up. I was thinkin' if doin' that though.

"She wouldn't." JJ tried.

"Try me. I'm sick and tired of you using my trailer for your booty calls. Bye now." I said truthfully

When he left I turned to Nick and hugged him.
"Thank you. I don't want to know what would have happened if you weren't here." He wrapped his arms around me. I layedmy head on his chest.

"I'm glad I was here. If I wasn't you would have been hit or worse."

"Do you want to come inside?" I asked

"Sure." I untacked Coal, and led him back to his stall, put him up, gave food and water to all my horses, and went back to the trailer to see Nick waiting outside the trailer. He didn't go in. Wow. Maybe JJ was wrong about him.