Chapter 7: Sobering News

The next day which is a sunday, the day the ALDC has the day off, Andrew was over Abby's house just watching TV with Abby and his bruised eye was slowly, but surely was healing and he decided to find Broadway Baby since Abby called her and she didn't come.

"Baby?" Andrew called as he walked through the kitchen door

looking for Broadway Baby, who usually would be excited didn't reply to the call.

"Hey, BB, you didn't come to Me and mom when i called." Andrew said, then he knew something was wrong, he saw the dog lying there and tried to move her head, but laid it back down and let out a weak bark, it's breathing was labored as Abby walked in.

"What's wrong, Baby?" Abby asked, picking up the dog. Baby shivered, which was a sign that something was wrong.

Andrew touched Baby's fur to see if she had a fever. "She doesn't have a fever."

"Andrew, i think we need to take Baby to a Animal Hospital, maybe they can find out what's wrong with her." Abby said as she was observing the ailing poodle and they both drove to the nearest animal hospital and they saw the vet.

"Hello, how may i help you?" She asked kindly.

"Ma'am, our dog is having labored breathing and we don't know what it is, so that's why we came here to find out what was wrong." Andrew said to the veterinarian, who had a worried look on her face.

"I'll see what i can do for her..." She told Andrew and Abby as she took the ailing dog to the ER to see what was wrong with her as Abby and Andrew both headed to the waiting room so they could find out what was wrong with the dog.

An hour had passed and they hadn't heard any updates from the veterinarian yet, then the vet came out and she had a grave look on her face.

"How is she?" Andrew asked the veterinarian fearfully as he and Abby were looking at her, hoping that she would have the answer to the question that he asked, but when she had that look on her face, it wasn't gonna be good news, but bad news.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, you two. But is it not good." she said with a saddened tone in her voice as she looked at the two. "But Broadway Baby has a rare type of advanced kidney failure and there is nothing we could do."

Andrew and Abby both froze in stunned shock, the dog that was the light of their lives was dying and they couldn't believe it. Abby began to cry, knowing that Broadway Baby kept her, Andrew and Maryen sane.

Andrew crumpled to the ground and began to sob very hard because he loved Baby like a sibling. He always played with her and took her for walks and fed her and hearing the sobering news that the vet gave them.

"There are treatments that we could give her, but it would make her sicker and even if she survives the night, the treatment options would put her in a lot of pain and prolong the suffering, so the best thing to do is to put her to sleep and also, if she survives the night, there may be a pretty good chance she might pass on tomorrow."

"No..." After andrew said that Abby took him back to the waiting room and they sat on the sofa and they were both emotional.

"Andrew..." Abby said, wiping her tears and she was trying to calm her son down.

"Mom, that's killing broadway baby!" Andrew stated, with a wavering voice.

"Can't you see how much she's suffering?! It's not killing her, we are helping her end her misery." Abby retorted, her voice breaking as she sent Gianna a text and told her to come to the Animal Hospital and a few minutes later, Gianna arrived and saw Andrew looking saddened.

"What's wrong, honey?" Gianna asked her boyfriend, concered as she sat next to him and put a hand over his hands as Abby looked sad too, she knew her son needed comfort from not only her, but from his girlfriend as well.

"Why don't you tell her, Andy." Abby suggested to her son.

"Broadway Baby's dying, Gia." Andrew said solemnly as his voice cracked.

"What?" Gianna was stunned that the dog that brought joy to not only Abby and Andrew, but also brought joy to her, the girls and the moms was dying.

"She has kidney failure, Andrew and i knew something was wrong when we called her and she didn't answer and we found her lying on the floor in the living room and had a weak bark, then Baby tried to get up, but she fell down and there's nothing the doctors can do." Abby said as Gianna had a few tears in her eyes.

"What are me and mom gonna do without Broadway Baby, Gia?" Andrew's eyes began to water. "She is like family to me and mom. We love her so much. We don't want her to...to..."

Gianna softly took Andrew into her arms and he started to cry uncontrollably at the thought of life without Broadway Baby as Abby began to cry again as well.

"There, there, Andrew. It's gonna be okay." Gianna reassured her distraught boyfriend and rubbed his back. "Just let it out and cry."

Then Gianna felt her own tears start falling from her eyes, seeing Andrew in that emotional state and she began crying too. She loved Broadway Baby as much as Abby and Andrew. Life without the poodle would be tough, but they'd get through the sadness as Abby joined in on the hug and the three cried together.