Chapter fourteen, Magical diplomacy for paperwork.

I spent three hours waiting my turn with Kaylee by my side in the government office when I was finally called forth to one of the many desks behind which a man sat who gave me an odd glance.

"How may I help you?" He asked a little annoyed, I could understand with this many people all coming here. It must be a tedious and boring job to have.

"I came to get my Identification papers issued." I replied, as Kaylee had told me to and the man shook his head.

"I will need your birth certificate then." He spoke and I gave Kaylee a worried glance and she nodded slightly at me.

Not telling me to hand the man the papers he asked for, but to use my magic, since I don't have a birth certificate.

Bend the will and force the mind... Suggestion With that thought, I completed my spell and spoke to the man, trying to seem as charming as I could.

"Can't you overlook those just once?" I asked him and he nodded confused and asked me my birth date to which I replied with the date Kaylee had written down for me.

"The seventh of August nineteen forty-four."

"Pardon me lady. This isn't some comedy club where you can crack jokes." He spoke annoyed and I used the same spell again.

Bend the will and force the mind... Suggestion

"Just write it down and add dark elf as nation of heritage please." I replied and once again the man was helpless against a charming elf using magic on him.

"As you wish, milady" He spoke and I slowly worked through the process of getting my I.D. papers, with having to use 'Suggestion' to have him enter absolutely anything.

Honestly I was glad I was a mage and not something else like a knight or an archer, because I would have great trouble with this otherwise. In the end, we spent two hours 'magically coercing' the man and even his superiors to just issue the papers and finally succeeded when the man handed me a date when I would be able to pick up the paperwork and get my I.D. at last.

"Keep in mind you'll have to pay fifty dollars to pick up the Identification when you return and bring along this note, it'll serve as verification that they are being given to the right person." He spoke and I shook my head.

"I need to pay, after all this effort?!" I exclaimed unintentionally as I took the piece of paper he slid onto the desk and Kaylee guided me out of the building.

"What the hell Daisia, how did you get him so cooperative?" She asked me and I flashed a sly smile. "That's magic for you. People here have no resistance to it whatsoever. So I can easily use this kind of spells, I'm just glad I know them at all." I replied while I dropped myself into the passenger seat of Kaylee's car while she started the engine, causing it to roar loudly.

Like that we drove off again to her house through the busy afternoon rush-hour.

When we finally sat down on the couch again, Kaylee already had two cups of coffee for us and began explaining the unfortunate year of my birth date.

As it turned out that date was around the end of a massive war here on Earth that left all of Europe, a massive continent on the other side of the world, as a wreckage of what it had once been.

We took care of dinner together that evening and went to our separate bedrooms to sleep early, seeing we had a lot to do the next day.

I woke the next morning to a heavy thud on my abdomen, only to find Bigsby sitting on his haunches as he stared at me with a dopey expression on his face.