Chapter twenty-one, A true confession.

I had messed up the grand re-opening of the store, that much had Kaylee made clear to me. And as such, my salary was being cut and I sat next to a grumpy Kaylee as she drove her car home.

"I-I'm sorry..." I muttered but she sneered at me. "You'd better be."

I simply didn't really know what to do right now. The fact I had let my mind drift off so easily on the clock was horrible. I could hardly earn back the time I wasted with that and the time we lost by having to close early because I, quite literally, flunked the job.

"Seriously, you had one job, and the easiest one at that." Kaylee muttered at my long silence and I hung my head in shame.

I had come to realize I had to maintain a better focus on the customers in the café segment of Phoenix Comix if I wanted to keep my job. And that meant I had to greatly improve my mindset. I was far too caught up in the mysteries of the world around me.

That much I came to realize in the time I sat next to Kaylee in her car on our way back home.

Slam!

The sudden slam of a car door shutting drew me back from my endless ponderings, only to see Kaylee standing in front of the car, waiting for me.

"Sorry, I was a little lost in thought." I said as I got out of the car and she locked it. "That happens." Was her only reply and she simply ignored me as we entered the house.

It felt far too small for the two of us right now. With both my confusion of her having suddenly kissed me and my not minding it. And with the fact I had ruined the day that should have made a great start for her in running the business. I wanted to hide, so I simply walked up the stairs, heading for my own bedroom.

I wanted to vanish right now, and so I would.

In the bedroom, I closed the door behind me and turned the key in the lock. I simply didn't want Kaylee getting inside here now.

With that, I simply rested my back against the door and slid down until I sat on the ground.

Hugging my knees, I simply cried silently, not even caring the tears ruined the make-up Kaylee had helped me with.

Why did I have to ruin the opening of her store? Why did I have to let my mind wander so badly?! I scolded myself in thought and simply hugged my knees, pulling them into my chest as I sat against the door, tears streaking my face with black from the mascara.

Even if I figured the mascara stains would be barely visible on my midnight grey skin, I was horrendously aware of how much I must look like a wreckage now.

A soft thud against the door roused me for a moment, but when nothing followed it, I simply ignored the entire thing, soon forgetting that it ever happened.

"Why?" I muttered, voice broken and catching as I spoke, asking myself the question I knew I had no answer to.

My fingers dug into the backs of my hands and I tried to wipe my tears away on the skirt I wore as it hung meekly over my knees.

"I'm sorry too..." A voice suddenly drew my attention.

"H-h-huh?" I stammered and looked around. No-one was inside the room, but then I remembered I felt something thud against the door.

"Kaylee?" I asked and felt a soft thud again. "Yeah. I'm sorry for getting so mad at you. I just hoped the opening would go... different..." She said and I heard her voice was just as broken as mine.

Has she been sitting against that door all this time? I wondered and heard her voice again.

"I really shouldn't have snapped against you like that. I really do chase... away everyone I fall in love with... with my stupid overreactions." She said, sniffling a few times in between words. "But why react like that then?" I asked her, simply intending to continue our conversation through the door.