Heart of Gold

Hayden wakes up, rubs his eyes confused. Not remembering he fell asleep he gets out of bed and walks to his bathroom and looks around. Everything is clean and untouched. Was it all a dream?.. He gets dressed, fixes his hair, brushes his teeth and walks downstairs. A note is sitting on the table with some money. "Had to head to work early. I'll be gone til tomorrow. I love you be safe kiddo." -Dad
Hayden sighs, grabs his car keys and heads to school.

Lyra is standing by her locker when she sees Hayden walk in, a look of sadness on his face. Aryse walks up to him and gives him a hug. "Hey." Aryse says with a smile.
"Hey." Hayden replies instantly smiling when he sees Aryse.
"Are you feeling better?.. I'm sorry about yesterday."
"It's alright." Hayden smiles at him. He grabs Aryse's hand and they walk off to class together.
"Even guy friends hold hands?.." Addy asks with one eyebrow up. Lyra laughs and grabs Addy's hand, and they walk off to class together.

Lyra walks past the bathrooms when she hears someone coughing and what sounds like getting sick. She starts walking to the door when it opens and Hayden walks out. "Oh Lyra! Didn't see you there. You okay?"
"Uh, I think I should ask you if you're okay?" Lyra replies.
"Oh, uh yeah I'm .. I'm fine." he looks down at the floor. Lyra grabs his hand and walks outside with him.
"What's been bothering you Hayden? And don't tell me nothing. It's obvious something is wrong; you're not your normal self. You haven't been for a while."
Hayden sighs. "I just..Aryse has been distant with our friendship lately and it's just been so hard for me seeing him not spend so much time with me as he used to. Yeah I see him in the hallways, and we walk to class together and talk, but it's not the same.." a tear slips down his cheek. Lyra leans closer to him and kisses his cheek. He looks up at her confused. "What was that for?.."
"You needed it." She smiles at him. He smiles back at her. "Cheer up buttercup. No need to be so upset." He smiles at her again and gets up.
"Thank you, Lyra. Thank you for listening." He walks back into the building.
Lyra smiles to herself and heads back inside after a few minutes of Hayden going in.

"Aryse! Focus!!" Aryse standing in an awkward position rolls his eyes.
"This is stupid. Can't I just do my own thing?" Aryse moves and sits down on the bench.
"Okay and if you do that then this won't work!" The photographer not in a good mood, begins to get frustrated with Aryse. "Alright do your 'own' thing if you want. Let's just get this over with."

After the photo shoot Aryse walks home and texts Hayden to meet him at his house.

"So I know I've been distant lately and I'm sorry.." Aryse sits cross legged on the floor with Hayden beside him. "And I feel really bad for it.."
"It's fine, Aryse. I understand you have other priorities - "
"Other priorities?!" Aryse stands up angrily. "What are you talking about?"
"Lyra.. you seem to be spending a lot of time with her."
Aryse runs his hand through his hair. "That's a stupid thing to say, Hayden. I've not spent that much time with her."
"Lies.." Hayden says under his breath.
"Alright fine whatever. Think what you want but it's not like that between her and me.." Aryse walks over to the window and looks outside. "I just.. I don't know how to feel anymore.. it's like I want too many things that I can't have and it's hard to even think.. I -" Hayden walks over and puts his arms around Aryse.
"It's fine. I get it, but don't overthink so much about this stuff. I'm sure whatever is bothering you, you'll figure it out. You always do. You're smart, Aryse. You're gonna get through this. You've got a heart of gold, don't let anyone change that." Hayden takes his hands off Aryse, grabs his backpack and walks out. He stops at the doorway. "I love ya Air, but get your shit together." He smiles leaves the room.
Aryse watches Hayden leave from his bedroom window. He sighs and lies down on his bed.
"A heart of gold.." Aryse thinks about Hayden's words and drifts off to sleep.