We'll Be A Dream

"Hayley wait!"

"No, Matt. Just let me go."

I tried walking faster but he ran and caught up with me. He grabbed my hand and pulled me around to face him. "I just skipped class to come after you to make sure you were okay. I'm not just going to let you go. What happened back there with you and Josh?"

"Nothing happened. I'm fine, okay. Please, just let me go home."

"You're not okay. A blind person could see that." He pulled me closer and wrapped his arms around me. I hugged him tightly and took a deep breath, trying to stop the tears that were threatening to fall. "What happened? What did Josh say to you?"

I shook my head. "I don't want to talk about it. Please, just let me go home."

"Alright I'll let you go home if you can tell me which direction your house is in."

I lifted my head off of Matt's chest and looked at my surroundings. I was mentally cursing myself for not paying more attention to where we were going in the car this morning. Not a single tree, building, or street name looked familiar. I had no clue where I was. I looked back at Matt, who was smirking slightly, and glared at him. He chuckled.

"C'mon, my house is only a couple of streets away from here. You can stay there until your Mum can pick you up."

"Thanks Matt." He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and we set off in the direction of his home.

We hadn't even been walking for five minutes when Matt pulled me up the driveway of one of the houses. I stood awkwardly at the bottom of the stairs while Matt fiddled around with the key in the lock. The door swung open and he gestured for me to go inside. I cautiously walked up the steps and into his house. He led me through the hallway and started going up the stairs. I followed behind him but paused when he opened the door to what appeared to be his bedroom. Should I follow him? I was still stood outside the door having my internal debate when Matt popped his head back around the door.

"What are you doing standing there, you numpty?" he asked, a cheeky grin playing on the edge of his lips. I stuck my tongue out at him and walked into his bedroom. "Sorry about the mess, I thought it was only going to be the guys that came over. I didn't really anticipate making a new friend today, especially not a female one. But I'm glad I did."

I grinned sheepishly. I was awful at accepting compliments, I never knew what to do or say. The familiar red blush was making its way on to my cheeks. "Thanks Matt. I'm really glad I tripped over you this morning. And mess doesn't really bother me, I'm kind of a slob myself."

"That's good to know, for future reference. I know we've technically only known each other for a day but you're now a part of our group and one of my best friends. You know you can tell me anything, I'll always listen."

"Not this I can't," I muttered under my breath. I wasn't sure if he heard me. His face showed confusion but only for a moment. He walked over to me, grabbed my hand and pulled me down on to the tiny little sofa he had in squished in the corner of his room.

"C'mon, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to but no matter what's wrong, ice cream and movies makes everything better." He jumped up from the couch and disappeared out the door, returning a few minutes later with a tub of Ben and Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie and two spoons.

I sat curled up in the corner of the sofa, watching Finding Nemo and eating ice-cream with Matt's arm around my shoulders. In that moment, I managed to forget everything that had happened in Scotland and was able to just sit and watch a movie with a friend. For a few seconds, I felt happy and safe. I hadn't felt like that for a long time.